IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Thanks folks for your feedback! Originally, I had also looked on the WW2Wings website (fantastic site by the way!) and thought they were very close to the Norsid that are on his site.

Another round of thanks to everyone. I worked out a deal and added them to my collection!

Those are fine. Probably Bell

Ahhhh! Thank you Patrick! The seller for some reason had them listed as reproduction wings.

I looked at them a good while and checked bobs site etc.

I was pretty darn sure they werent repros.

Excellent!

$25.00 plus shipping !!

They have the nice feathering thats got my attention lately!

Bell Trading Post (Bell) wings. JoeW does make some repro Bell wings but these are original. Be careful, I found Bell wings to be addictive.

Thank you all for the help. Thank you

Kropotkin

for clueing me into the fact it was a 2 inch wing. Seller had it marked as a 3 incher. I dont collect those so I passed.

Dont know why the seller thought it was a repro?

• 3 weeks later...

The attached wing, in my opinion, is about as honest as any political candidate desperate to retain power in an electorate where the voters know he/she is scum. This photo from a magazine was taken on the day the wing was unburied and is probably the clearest photo I can find from that time. There is a facebook video showing the wing being removed from dirt but a screenshot from that is too low quality to be of use.

post-190629-0-98246000-1545441386_thumb.jpg

I am not willing to put up the full story behind this suspect wing at this point but you do need to know that it is claimed to been purchased before Easter 1942 and to have spent quite some time buried in the ground. The pilot it is claimed was wearing these wings graduated in 1940 but may well have replaced the wings he got in 1940 before he disappeared.

The official history on its discover states One set of silver-colored, slightly damaged, pilot wings and one other possible piece of material evidence were recovered from the site.

If you believe it is NOT an honest 1940/41 or early 1942 wing please explain why as my knowledge of these badges is almost purely from documents, not from any hands on experience of any real value, unlike the vast majority of visitors to this page.

I will post the full story, as I know it, as soon as comments on the likelihood of these being good/bad wings cease

Those do look like they could be from 1940/41 or they could be from any other time during the war. We would need to see the back of the wing to tell if they're early war or late war.

Those do look like they could be from 1940/41 or they could be from any other time during the war. We would need to see the back of the wing to tell if they're early war or late war.

Unfortunately there are no known photos of the rear of the wing

If you'll notice in between the vertical lines on the shield it's smooth. On ww2 wings most patterns will have the verticals but in the recess between there will be very fine vertical lines as well. The only ww2 wing that you'll commonly see without those fine verticals in the recesses is the Meyer pattern. The shield on the wing shown is not the Meyer as the Meyer is a bit wider. If I saw that wing on ebay I'd bid with the assumption that it is from the late 1930's or 1940-42. It would have been pinback and that could have rusted off if it was in the ground awhile.

Here is a link to a couple wings I've owned. If you look at post #7 you'll see that I've circled a couple flaws on the two non-Noble wings. Those flaws appear to be on the wing you show as well. On post #7 I drew a circle over a couple flaws in the shield's horizontal lines. What you can't really see is that there is a flaw in the lower left of the area of the horizontals that is quite large and is on your wing as well. I really have no doubt that the wing you show is late 1930's or 1940-42 with 42 being the absolute latest. It very well could be the wing issued to this pilot in 1940.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/205035-noble-pilot/?hl=prewar&do=findComment&comment=1606013

Its hard to tell from the low resolution photo, and all the dirt and crud on the badge don't help... From what I think I can see, It does appear to be a badge made from one of the Adams-type dies.

As aptly noted above, some manufactures such as AE Co and Jostens continued to use the Adams-type dies, sometimes slightly modified to increase the level of detail, well through WW2. So a view of the hardware could help illuminate the question; Is the badge pre-war?

From the information available in the photograph, I think the best answer anyone will be able to give as to the question of whether or not the badge is pre-war is that; "It could be."

Chris

Chris is spot one, I also think. I see nothing to think that it isn't what it is said to be. There was no "magical-date" for pre- or war period insignia, but this particular pattern of wing is relatively common and can be attributed to pilots who were in the USAAF around that time. Very interesting

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I would be interested in any opinions/comments regarding this wing. It is "identified" but is the wing authentic or a "Tiffany" reproduction ?

Thanks.

post-172726-0-95718900-1548170267_thumb.jpg

post-172726-0-01382900-1548170275_thumb.jpg

post-172726-0-53123200-1548170594.jpg

Bad fake. It was discussed many years ago on the forum. It's a casting of a Tiffany wing with a crude, unprofessional "engraving". Wrong hardware ad well

Bad fake. It was discussed many years ago on the forum. It's a casting of a Tiffany wing with a crude, unprofessional "engraving". Wrong hardware ad well