IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

doinworkinvans

Thank you Paul. Yea, shape is rough so I got the price down just wanted to make sure before I pulled trigger.

Thank you Paul. Yea, shape is rough so I got the price down just wanted to make sure before I pulled trigger.

But I am also very cheap.. :)

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

This thread shows a very similar Wing(Post # 1):

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58802

The one I posted in this thread looks like the OP Wing in the thread that I provided a link to,except for the back marking.

In post # 6 of the thread I linked to,Tonomachi posted an image of a poorly made Wing that is described as a fake,but is the OP Wing in that same thread also a fake?

Hello Patch,

I wish I could offer some positive information, but I'm not a fan at all of that Airship Pilot wing. The fact that there's no individual feather-tip detail protruding out beyond the edge of the wings reminds me of the those mid-1970's made-up badges illustrated in the pinned Airship thread.

And that blotchy surface on the reverse is sure indicative of artificial aging. I would pass on that badge...

Patchcollector

Thanks for the input and good advice.I was wondering about that rear finish.Looks like there are examples of this pattern out there with different back stamps.

Here,for reference,is a pic from the thread I linked to showing one with a different mark:

post-13386-0-98382400-1504990754.jpg

This is an AAF Aircrew wing. It is called a graduation pattern wing because it was this type that was awarded to airmen who completed aircrew training. It is 100% original. The clutch fasteners should be sterling marked and they appear to be. 100% original.

Allan

• 3 months later...

Its hard to see in the photo of your Vanguard wing but I believe there is a 1 to the left of the V-Eagle and a V to the right, which was kind of a fancy way to depict the alpha-numeric manufactures code required at the time this wing was made, which was well after WWII. There are several threads where the alpha-numeric code system is discussed, including the year the system was implemented and the year the codes were revised and Vanguard went from 1-V to V-21

• 3 months later...

I believe your Aerial Gunner badge is a recent, if not current production item... And available for purchase at most militaria shows for $5.00 to $10.00 bucks.

• 1 month later...

The marking on these NS Meyer bombardier wings is just the shield incised into the wing with 'STERLING'. Are they real (I know Meyer wings are widely reproduced) and are they WW2 or late 40s? Thanks!

post-32676-0-21649400-1527432101_thumb.jpg

Ditto, I think this is one of the restrikes made in the 90's. They had a glossy black lacquer that wasn't on the originals and so people try to buff it off. That is what I think is going on with this wing. Also, as said before, the pin is wrong and the STERLING mark is too large.

It isn't that hard (or expensive) to find a good NS Meyer bombardier wing, so be patient.

P