IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Patchcollector

my vote would be cast copy of a rather common WWII vintage wing.

Thank you!I thought it better to ask because I've never seen theatre made Naval Wings before.

Hi all,

Did one of you ever encounter a Bombadier wings like this one

Its a 2 piece construction,heavy with a solid back

Thank you

post-158216-0-40011500-1488146836_thumb.jpg

post-158216-0-93481300-1488146865_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifP1100863.JPG

The way this is constructed (crude sand casting polished on the front with nail like clutch back pins) it was made in South Vietnam during the war. Did the South Vietnamese Air Force have a bombardier wing?

• 2 months later...

I don't think they are reproductions. Rather, I suspect that they are relatively modern (at least circa/post KW) vintage pilot wings. They seem to have been repaired, but nothing really is wrong with them.

These wings aren't really super valuable and so there is no real profit to be made by faking them. It looks like someone scratched the back to see if they were silver or silver plated.

Patrick

I like this pattern. It isn't especially rare for a bombardier wing, but I have picked up a few groupings that have had this particular wing. It has a nice big bomb on the front that appeals to me. Good deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Any thoughts on the below? It would appear to be a theatre-made wing but bullion is not my strong suit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nope. I fear it is a repro trying to pass off as an English made wing. Bullion is bad. Aging is fake. I'd stay away

Hello again,

I think the wing is good but anyone hazard a guess as to the engraving? The style of the engraving looks good but Turne Field? Could it just be a contemporary mistake/abbreviation due to space?

Posted Image

I see no issues. That little loop on the edge was probably attached to a small chain and some sort of little pendant or gee gaw, I would suspect. Probably a sweetheart item, but who cares! Really nice.

Patrick

As ever Patrick, I'm indebted to your generosity in giving an opinion on things for which I have little knowledge. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

What are your thoughts on these? That offset hallmark is throwing me off...

Sorry about no pics I'm on my phone and can't get it to work right. I'll add them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

I have a best offer in....so it seems like a good price but want to make sure

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-WW2-US-Army-Air-Corp-Wings-Aerial-Gunner-Pin-Back-Full-Size-3-/302356363568?nav=BUYING_BEST_OFFERS