IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

Currently on EBay.Here is a link .Someone with more computer skills could please import photos.Is this real?http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WWI-ULTRA-RARE-US-FRENCH-LAFAYETTE-FLYING-CORPS-BADGE-WITH-STAR-/111812575136?hash=item1a088c7fa0:g:-lwAAOSwI-BWL3Oa

Here's two of those ebay images (#111812575136).

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16001.jpg

Here's one for you lads. I saw this 1.5" balloon observer wing, being sold as a combat observer wing, for a pittance so thought what the heck, nothing to lose. The finish looks pitted and in places indistinct so could be cast, but I supposed (perhaps wrongl) that small sweetheart sized wings aren't often faked. So could it be a cheaply produced period piece or just a knock-off? Cheers!

Posted ImagePosted Image

They very much could be. It's not like they drew a line in the sand and said, "the war is over, time to change up until the next war starts".

These wings were probably used well after the KW time period as they moved through old stock and dies.

P

• 1 month later...
AAF_Collection

I would welcome opinions on this Command Pilot wing. To me it looks like a late 30's/early 40's non-sterling Amcraft, although it isn't maker marked.

Thanks,

Matt.

post-61896-0-76525700-1464444012.jpg

post-61896-0-16477800-1464444028.jpg

jonesy1275

I'm thinking about purchasing a M43 jacket that has a glider pilots cloth wing. Could I have your opinions on it please? It's not the greatest photo from the seller and he can't confirm the authenticity/time period of when the wing was sewn on the jacket.

I have seen original photos of Glider Pilots wearing M43's with a cloth wing sewn.

Neil.

post-72146-0-04610600-1464456272.jpeg

Gentlemen,

I'm a little suspicious of this AE Co pilot wing I Just picked up. An initial look at the hallmark persuaded me that this wing was ok but on further inspection I have my doubts.

I've read that AE wings relatively poor quality gives off a cast-like aura, but in the cold light of day these look like a cast copy.

Your frank and expert opinions will be gratefully received. If it's a collective thumbs down, I'll be going to get a refund tomorrow.

Thanks!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

AAF_Collection

Personally I'd say your AE Co wing is original WWII period, based on comparison with original AE Co wings I have.

Matt.

It seems like bubbles and pits on the obverse?! I've never seen that on an original?

Also the back looks 'puffy' and the edge shows casting marks rather than die marks IMO.

I will have to pull a few of mine out and look at them again. I know on a few the strike is not that sharp but they don't look like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustywings

BROBS, I see what you mean about the pits, pimples, blemishes and inconsistencies along the edge of the wing, but I believe Patrick's and Matt's evaluation is correct. AECO wings do appear to have been pumped out in large numbers without the quality control seen with other manufacturers... so with AECO made badges, I focus on the cleanness of the shield ribbing and crispness of the hallmark... which both display well in this case.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So do AECO wings often display such bubble/pits? Does anyone have any genuine examples they could share to illustrate a similar poor finish? It's all a learning process for me.

They very much could be. It's not like they drew a line in the sand and said, "the war is over, time to change up until the next war starts".

These wings were probably used well after the KW time period as they moved through old stock and dies.

P

Well said! Sometimes I just have to shake my head and wonder where some collectors get the idea that when a war ends changes to everything take place. Or, when a new version of something comes out, all the old stuff somehow disappears.

AAF_Collection

Thanks for the feedback, guys. So do AECO wings often display such bubble/pits? Does anyone have any genuine examples they could share to illustrate a similar poor finish? It's all a learning process for me.

Here's an AE Co pilot wing I have for comparison.

post-61896-0-65696500-1464600838.jpg

post-61896-0-07041200-1464600891.jpg