IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

mini size (about 1-3/8" wide) sweetheart wings? HH hallmark & H24N on back. Pins are about 1/4" long.

post-13304-0-65283000-1445690862.jpg

post-13304-0-40809300-1445690875.jpg

Air Crew, 2" wide, marked AMICO and STERLING on back

post-13304-0-81085600-1445690934.jpg

post-13304-0-05444500-1445690946.jpg

Hi Art,

The full-size H-H wing is the correct WW2 pattern with what appears to be period hardware but the finish almost looks anodised and I do not recall seeing such a large "STER 1/20 10K" stamping on WW2 vintage H-H badges before. The top section of the shield also looks totally smooth whereas it should imo be pebbled (very fine sandpaper appearance). Maybe an effect of the imaging? I'm left wondering if this is post-WW2 or altered though.

The mini is nice but the H24N marking dates it as well post WW2.

The Amico AirCrew is a nice WW2 vintage example imo.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the replies. On the larger wings, the top of the shield is pebbled like fine sand paper (it just doesn't show in the photos).

Would the mini's probably be 60's - 70's vintage? (or later?).

• 4 weeks later...
Brian from Columbus

I purchased these at a show last month and was fairly confident all was well. They were reported to have come out of an old collection and advertised as WWII flight surgeon wings by Vanguard.

Now that I am entering them into my database, I cannot find anything similar to them. So of course, I am concerned.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

post-157366-0-18571800-1447994622.jpg

I don't doubt their authenticity as genuine issue wings...but the use of alpha-numeric codes by insignia manufacturers is a post 50s thing. Thus Vanguard insignia is marked 1-V and Denmark's D22 etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These came off a WW2 Officers coat. Full size 3 inch, no makers mark. They are not silver. It almost looks like the wing is brass with a dark wash of some type. The star and wreath look copper with a dark wash.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

post-124172-0-95019500-1453340903.jpg

they are a brass or copper base metal with a silver wash that has turned into a dark patina.

good ww2 or even pre-ww2 era wings IMO.

-Brian

they are a brass or copper base metal with a silver wash that has turned into a dark patina.

good ww2 or even pre-ww2 era wings IMO.

-Brian

Thank you, Brian.

Wedgehead30, thank you for sharing the images of your curious Command Pilot badge. It's the first example I've seen in this pattern not produced in sterling. I wonder if it was initially a test strike or sample?

As you may know, during WWII, the Blackinton Company designed and manufactured this pattern wing with their own hallmark, as well as the hallmark of several other contract companies, including Luxenberg and Bond. The star and wreath design on your example appears to match the design used on their "Luxenberg" marked badges.

Check out Bob's website: www.ww2wings.com under U.S. Command Pilot wings and compare the first and third badges illustrated in that section to see the small design differences between the Blackinton and Luxenberg stars and wreaths...

As you may know, during WWII, the Blackinton Company designed and manufactured this pattern wing with their own hallmark, as well as the hallmark of several other contract companies, including Luxenberg and Bond. The star and wreath design on your example appears to match the design used on their "Luxenberg" marked badges.

In my case it would be "may not know" but I'm learning. Thank you for the edification.

Scott

I have a similar wing. This version also shows up in a gilt version as well. Mine has a fake "STERLING" hallmark as it clearly isn't sterling (it is only silver plated). I don't know if this is a Blackinton-made wing or something that is just similar to the Blackinton pattern.

I have always felt that this was an early or pre-war wing pattern, but I am pretty sure it is a good guess that your command pilot wing is a later war-time period wing.

A very nice wing.

P

post-1519-0-04252800-1453414680.jpg

post-1519-0-24460400-1453414694.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

Wedge - That command pilot seems a little off to me.....shouldn't the back of the star be solid instead of indented like that? Also, the wreath leaves appear to be raised...thought these were more flat? Not saying no...just something seems a little off to me about those.

The aircrew I believe are good to go!

-dwiv

I would buy either wing, The Command Pilot looks typical of a late WWII into Korean War era version. The A.E. is also fine, although the clutches are for Wolf Brown ribbon bar