IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

The correct clutches would either be flat (no dimples on face) or some other type of WW2 vintage fastener.

They may or may not be Sterling Silver, even though they are unmarked.

Nice!

-Brian

501stGeronimo

The correct clutches would either be flat (no dimples on face) or some other type of WW2 vintage fastener.

Nice!

-Brian

I have had pieces straight from vets that have not been messed with at all and the clutches have dimples, so I don't live by that rule.

True 501,

I believe I read that a few manufacturers very late war had a type of dimple, but it does look slightly different than the modern dimpled clutches IIRC.

I should have said "the most widely accepted clutches" :D

-Brian

How about this TO Wing guys? Looks to me to be good. I know there are 70's re strikes but the re strikes I've seen have the logo impresses rather than raised on the back of the wing? This one looks identical to the Meyer one on the excellent WW2Wings.com Bob Schwartz site? Opinions welcome...Steve in England...

TO1_zps16074f45.jpg

TOrev1_zpseaf142f7.jpg

TOrev2_zpsce8b6421.jpg

TOrev4_zps03af1ee1.jpg

TOrev5_zps64c69cd8.jpg

5thwingmarty

This pattern of flight engineer wing can sometimes be found with Vanguard (1V) hallmarks. The same dies were used by Vanguard, Silverman Brothers (2S) and Charles Polk (CPCo.). It is probably post WWII with the long clutch posts.

Ok, trying again re: photos!

How about this TO Wing guys? Looks to me to be good. I know there are 70's re strikes but the re strikes I've seen have the logo impresses rather than raised on the back of the wing? This one looks identical to the Meyer one on the excellent WW2Wings.com Bob Schwartz site? Opinions welcome...Steve in England...

post-128887-0-98313400-1412772120.jpg

post-128887-0-69759500-1412772127.jpg

post-128887-0-92256100-1412772137.jpg

post-128887-0-03585400-1412772146.jpg

skypilot6670

Stevie the TO wings are a minefield.Having said that it looks like the one you have is good.Check it against the Meyers on Bobs web site. http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaaftechnicalobserver.shtml You should check it for indications of having been cast,pillowing,edges look like a slightly overstuffed pillow,any bubbles or pits that don't belong such as corrosion,and a detailed inspection 10 power at least, jewelers loop to make sure wear is genuine and not applied.If satisfied then pull the trigger .These are rare and often faked but real are hard to find. Mike

Stevie the TO wings are a minefield.Having said that it looks like the one you have is good.Check it against the Meyers on Bobs web site. http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/usaaftechnicalobserver.shtml You should check it for indications of having been cast,pillowing,edges look like a slightly overstuffed pillow,any bubbles or pits that don't belong such as corrosion,and a detailed inspection 10 power at least, jewelers loop to make sure wear is genuine and not applied.If satisfied then pull the trigger .These are rare and often faked but real are hard to find. Mike

Looks good under a Loop,. Also looks good against Bob's Meyer on his site Mike. Looks a good 'un to me...but happy to hear people's opinions on it...Steve

on the flight engineer wings in post 159...is $70 a good price?

My sense is no, but I don't really know. I think I have one, or had one, and I doubt I paid more than $20.

on the flight engineer wings in post 159...is $70 a good price?

for postwar I don't believe so.

but I don't collect postwar so I'm biased. $70 is probably what I would try to pay for original WW2! (I'm a deal-seeker)

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Patchcollector

Here is a new one for the "good or not" thread.Full sized Wing.Seller described as an "early" example.No "Sterling" mark that I can see.The odd thing,to me anyway,is that the back looks to be a lot more worn than the front.Is this uneven wearing common?Sellers pics.

If this is authentic,would this be a pre-war,or early war example?

post-13386-0-55335600-1413854596.jpg

post-13386-0-75185100-1413854600.jpg

post-13386-0-26691400-1413854606.jpg

post-13386-0-66344600-1413854610.jpg

Pictures aren't great but this one gives me some heartburn--looks like a casting. Here is what a good one should look like. The wear you see is likely from the casting process, I would guess.

I have always felt that this senior pilot pattern wing (AKA the pelican beak) is a smack-in-the-middle-late war time-KW version. The little star on stilts seems to be an earlier version, with a later variation where the star is larger and not on stilts. Remember, almost no WWII trained pilots would have earned a senior pilot wing until well towards the end of WWII (most probably not until the Korean war).

It should be clear that the pilot wing was likely made all through the war, but the little stars weren't probably added until later.

I have groupings with the second wing (with the large star) from guys flying after KW, but is have no doubt that the wings overlapped significantly.

The "pre-war" pattern (AKA the Adams Design) is the last wing shown -- although I suspect it also was used during WWII.

post-1519-0-02231000-1413855588.jpg

post-1519-0-95603900-1413855852.jpg

post-1519-0-49423200-1413855861.jpg

Patchcollector

Thanks for all the helpful info Patrick.I thought that the back looking the way it does could be from the casting process.The weird part is that the front appears OK,and looks like a die cut example (to my inexperienced eyes anyway).

Has this type of Wing been reproduced in abundance?Thanks!

a lot of the obverse details look smoother as well, I think it's just hard to tell from that photo.

back is definitely pillowed like a casting. to me, 100% fake.

-Brian

The unnecessary wear and distortion to the hallmark; the rounded edges and dull corners; the fact there's no stop-cam on the pin; all thumbs-down indicators for me...I would also pass on this piece.