IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

I bought it. Hopefully it is a real one. I will post better photos when it arrives. I asked the seller if he could provide the bombardier's name as well. If I can get the name, I should be able to see what class he graduated with.

Marty, I hope it turns out to be a good one as well. The ebay description states it's 2 3/4 inches in width. That's 1/2 inch smaller than the known originals. This smaller variation has a straight and level edge which runs along the top of the wing. The larger version has much more pronounced shoulders which are higher than the tips and distant portion of the wings.

As Cliff mentioned, the differences might be attributed to the craftsman changing his design from one piece to the next? Ultimately, once you have the badge in hand, you'll be looking for deeper recesses between the feathering and sharper overall details than the current ebay illustrations depict.

I was told the name of my bombardier but was asked not to pass it on. I am supposed to be getting a letter with the wing that will have some more information for me. In any event, with the name I was able to check for men with the same first initial and last name and found four candidates, one of which graduated from Kirtland in class 42-08. I don't have class books for any of the four candidates but a friend can hopefully help rule out two of them by checking his books, and another friend might be able to confirm I have the right class for my guy. I will post more when I get the wing and more information.

Patchcollector

Here is a full sized Observer Wing that is Sterling.Would like to know if it is authentic,and when where and by who this one was made,if possible.I looked on the WW2 Wings website but did'nt find a match.Sellers pics.

Thanks!

post-13386-0-33721000-1411664249.jpg

post-13386-0-22651100-1411664253.jpg

Here are some hopefully better pictures of the Navaho bombardier wing. It arrived sooner than I expected. The details are very sharp in person, and I was surprised how thin the wing is. I was expecting a very heavy, thick wing and it is not at all. Although the metal is thin, the wing has incredible depth with the shoulders bulging outward almost as far as the center bomb fin. The target rings look to have been added to the center circle. It is also just 2-5/8" wide. The story was this was purchased as a gift for a sweetheart for a girlfriend the bombardier met in Albuquerque, so that would fit with this having been made so much smaller than regulation wings.

post-96854-0-97258500-1411754516.jpg

post-96854-0-00895200-1411754525.jpg

Marty congrats and thanks for posting the pictures.I like the depth of the hand chasing,bomb and target and the shoulder .That is one really unique and beautiful wing.I believe it's another Cliff's Navajo. Thank you very much for sharing it. Fraternally Mike

I'm glad the consensus is that it is a good wing. I have taken some additional photos with my work iphone that I am hoping may show better detail. If they turn out I plan on adding photos to the previous thread about the Navaho wings.

Re: Post 143

Hi, Just acquired this Air Gunner wing. Marked Sterling & Balfour and with two rivets? WW2?

Thoughts welcome. .

Stevie.

In case some members have had trouble pulling up the three photos from the website posted by Stevie, the images have been posted below for review. Thoughts welcome:

post-4542-0-80820900-1412104786.jpg