IS THIS WING GOOD? Post your requests here!

John Cooper

doinworkinvans

Alrighty fellas this one is listed as CBI made....let me know your honest thoughts!!

1.jpg

very good question..

but because of the radical departure of the wing design I would think they would have to be sweetheart.

Still a cool set in my eyes.

-Brian

I would suggest that they are Mexican made (or maybe SW USA). They have that feel to me of Mexican silversmithing.

Patrick

I can see your point.. and perhaps that is the case.

However it also has that look of "cheap" (for lack of a better word) jewelry/brass items from India or Pakistan.

-Brian

501stGeronimo

I would suggest that they are Mexican made (or maybe SW USA). They have that feel to me of Mexican silversmithing.

Patrick

CliffP thought the same,

"Definitely a sweetheart pin or ladies brooch; however, because of the fittings used on the back I don't believe it was made in the CBI.

While I would not rule out the possibility that it may have been made in Mexico, I lean more to the probability that it was made by a Native American in the Southwest USA for resell to the tourist trade."

John Cooper

These wings don't strike me as military so the easy choice as mentioned already. As to what country they were made that I can't say but not from the Southwest in my opinion... The thing that jumps out is the fittings and how they are attached...

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Ok thank you.. that's what I figured.

They certainly are a different looking wing, and it appears from the wear on the pins that it always had these clutches... but the pins are short enough a flat faced clutch sits flush.

I guess not all good deals on ebay are bad. :D

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

I recently had a chance to get this wing,but did'nt because I just was'nt sure about its' authenticity.I'm posting the photos of it here to ask the experts;was I right to pass on these or should I have bought them?In other words,is this wing authentic?

post-13386-0-72424400-1401554120.jpg

post-13386-0-79503000-1401554124.jpg

post-13386-0-01409700-1401554258.jpg

That balloon observer looks cast to me. Look at the back of the badge, the details are very soft which is usually a tip off for it being a cast wing. I wouldn't buy it. I think you made the right call.

Patchcollector

That balloon observer looks cast to me. Look at the back of the badge, the details are very soft which is usually a tip off for it being a cast wing. I wouldn't buy it. I think you made the right call.

Thanks for the info.That's exactly what I was thinking.The overall "soft" appearance and the weak strike on the "Sterling" made me hesitate.Another thing is the line on the balloon within the "O" just does'nt look right to me.The seller stated that the "beat up" appearance was from wear,but the pin looks straight as an arrow.But he did have some other authentic items so I was not 100% sure about this wing.

It appears that I have learned a few things from this helpful forum! :lol:

rustywings

Patchcollector, you made a wise decision in passing on this badge. Your concerns and Bob's evaluation are both spot on...

Patchcollector

Hi all,

I was browsing on eBay when I came across these wings,all being offered by the same seller.They look like some pretty scarce designs and I'm tempted to put some bids on them but I wanted to let the experts here eyeball them first to verify if they are authentic to the period.Thanks.

post-13386-0-85014700-1402018649.jpg

post-13386-0-01617300-1402018654.jpg

post-13386-0-51936200-1402018657.jpg

post-13386-0-90192900-1402018663.jpg

post-13386-0-17936000-1402018667.jpg

post-13386-0-85422800-1402018670.jpg

post-13386-0-06445200-1402018674.jpg

skypilot6670

Don't like any of them.The bombadier appears cast.The observer and balloon do not match any known examples that I am aware of.Their are so many fakes out there that the high end stuff has to have a rock solid provenance or I don't look twice. I own enough garbage. My advice stay away. Fraternally Mike

Hi all,

I was browsing on eBay when I came across these wings,all being offered by the same seller.They look like some pretty scarce designs and I'm tempted to put some bids on them but I wanted to let the experts here eyeball them first to verify if they are authentic to the period.Thanks.

Are there really any experts? Sometimes it's best for us to just rely on our basic instincts and walk away from a trade.

I believe you were right to avoid all of them.

post-4542-0-08067900-1402130744.jpg

Patchcollector

Mike I sensed the same thing that you observed in your comment, but I'm so lacking in knowledge about the early pieces that I wanted to get some input from the more experienced members here.

At this point in my wing collecting experience,if I bought based on my "instinks",I would no doubt have a lot of "Garbage" as Mike so rightfully put it :lol:

Thanks guys for your insight and help.

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

Happy Sunday all,

Here is a wing I found and wanted to post it here for comments.

Thanks!

post-13386-0-48781800-1405911443.jpg

post-13386-0-25270700-1405911449.jpg

post-13386-0-41967600-1405911452.jpg

post-13386-0-64098300-1405911455.jpg

Patchcollector,

That is a copy of what had been a fake Airship Pilot badge. Yep, you read correctly, even the original fakes are now being copied and most come from a bad egg in Indiana.

:wacko:

post-4542-0-58211700-1405915964.jpg

Patchcollector

A copy of a copy.Man what will they think of next? :lol: Thanks Cliff,I thought it looked kind of "funny",especially the back..

Heads-Up! :dry:

USAAF fixed-wing Pilot, Service Pilot, Glider Pilot and Liaison Pilot wing badges that look like the ones seen below should be given additional consideration before purchasing.

These badges started showing up in the market place within the last 12 months. Some carry no hallmark while others may be stamped GAUNT - LONDON. The badges may be in pin-back or have English style attachment loops like the two seen in the bottom photo.

The theory making the rounds among dealers is that most are New-Old-Stock made during WWII but only recently found in England; however, unless confirmed by an acknowledged unquestionable source, it should be an issue open for debate.

If anyone feels there is no merit to this concern, please do blast away.

Cliff

post-4542-0-06639900-1405970663.jpg