Preserving WW1 Hardtack

double canister

double canister

Some thirty years ago I was given several pieces of hardtack biscuit from WW1. They were brought back by a local vet and given to me by his wife. For years, I have kept them in the Mason jar in which it was presented to me. Probably this isn't the best preservation idea. Any help out there?

Mark Warren

I would keep them in the jar but throw in one of the little moisture-absorbing things like you sometimes get in packaging for electronics.

I know WalMart carries some dessicants, including in the gun section.

Maybe someone with a machine can vacuum seal them? I don't know what that would do in the long run, but it's got to be better than nothing

Mike

I just thought of something you may want to consider. You may want to wear gloves so you don't introduce something to it that will cause it to degrade in the long run. I remember back in the 90s when some museum had an issue with fungi eating away at mummies. It was something they were introduced to after being unwrapped and displayed. If I remember correctly they put them in a sealed case and pumped out all the air and replaced it with CO2 to stop any bacteria or fungus from inhabiting the mummy and degrading it. I'm not sure how you would do that but it is certainly an idea.

Mike

I will add, as a joke, that I did not think they needed any extra protection- that they were hard enough back in 1918 that nothing could hurt them, and not they can be only harder!

I'm thinking you want them to be in something that can breathe, as sealed you might get some moisture from condensation, and that will be the main problem. Riker mount seems like a safer bet.

I will add, as a joke, that I did not think they needed any extra protection- that they were hard enough back in 1918 that nothing could hurt them, and not they can be only harder!

I'm thinking you want them to be in something that can breathe, as sealed you might get some moisture from condensation,

That's why I recommended the dessicant. I am blessed to live in the land of low humidity so this kind of thing is no problem but in some climates the moisture in the air can be pretty brutal on old artifacts,

But, yes I do wonder if in fact anything can harm hardtack? After almost 100 hundred years, it's seems to have the consistency of petrified rock.

Hardtack is susceptible to insect damage. During the Civil War, soldiers referred to them as "worm castles", and many commented that they were infested with weevils, and other insects. I have seen hardtack from the Civil War era with insect damage, which was most likely ancient.

That being said, like I had suggested before - a riker mount would be sufficient to keep it protected from the environment and insects that are desperate enough to eat such a delicacy.