Grandfathers Vietnam Bringbacks

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I just got my grandfathers bringbacks from Vietnam out of my Aunts attic for Christmas. About a month or so ago I didn't even know these items existed. First up is the pith helmet he got off a dead Vietnamese soldier good thing he washed out the helmet because it obvious what happened to this guy. The helmet has suffered from poor storage my dad says it was not crushed when my grandfather brought it back in 67-68. The helmet is named and has very interesting trench art.

post-104619-0-87167600-1387146755.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

And here is a spear taken from a dead VC. Unfortunately the is a large split in the shaft but everything is still attached.

post-104619-0-86185500-1387147046.jpg

Wow! Fantastic family history find! The etchings make it especially good. Now, sit down with grandpa and get his military history, and WRITE IT DOWN. Oh, he won't want to talk about it, or he won't think it's important, but do it anyway.

That is a sun helmet and it is fantastic. Lots of really, really nice features to it. Many of them suffered some degree of crushing when being brought back in duffel bags (or seabags to Marines), tho lesser crushing in the sun helmets than the pith helmets due to the materials they were made of. Yeah, you should be glad that your grandfather's helmet was cleaned - I have one in my VN helmet collection that wasn't...

SergeantMajorGray

Wow! Fantastic family history find! The etchings make it especially good. Now, sit down with grandpa and get his military history, and WRITE IT DOWN. Oh, he won't want to talk about it, or he won't think it's important, but do it anyway.

I would if I could but he passed away when I was young. From what my dad says he had no problem with talking about his experiences and frequently shared his war stories.

SergeantMajorGray

One question does a 5.56 round have a enough stopping power to tumble through a skull? I know if it entered straight it would go through.

I would if I could but he passed away when I was young. From what my dad says he had no problem with talking about his experiences and frequently shared his war stories.

Sorry for your loss. I'd make a note then with your grandfather's service information and put it in the crown of the interior..

SergeantMajorGray

Here are his Marine Officer and NCO swords and some plaques from his service. The 2 shield shaped plaque were made in Vietnam.

post-104619-0-20963600-1387151963.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Awesome stuff! Congrats! To me, no matter what else you may find in the future, nothing beats the family stuff.

I agree I have a lot more of my families stuff than most people but I don't have it all such as my grandfather on my mom's sides WW2 uniforms. Or my grandfather on my dad's sides medals which he threw away luckily I do have his DD2-14.

SergeantMajorGray

here's a updated picture with very minimal effort I was able to put the chinstrap over the brim and it displays much better. And from what I've seen on other sun helmets this one isn't as crushed as I thought it was. Also there is DUG or HUG TRI maybe a possible location?

post-104619-0-71603400-1387320263.jpg

here's a updated picture with very minimal effort I was able to put the chinstrap over the brim and it displays much better. And from what I've seen on other sun helmets this one isn't as crushed as I thought it was. Also there is DUG or HUG TRI maybe a possible location?

attachicon.gifptn.jpg

I've never seen a location inside a helmet. Usually it is a name and sometimes the infiltration date and maybe some artwork. I got really lucky last year when I hired a Vietnamese man to do my landscaping. He translated(as best he could) a lot of my items for me.