OIF Flight Gear

hawkdriver

hawkdriver

Alright, to start this off, here is a picture of the current Gen II Air Warrior ensemble. The ensemble consist of the PSGC (personal survival gear carrier), the Armor with SAPI inserts, the AACU flight suit, and then the HGU-56 helmet. A crewchief will typically wear the Maxillo Facial Shield (MFS) and will wear a second plate in the back of his vest. Pilots don't wear the back plate because the seat is armored.

2q04u37.jpg

The back side picture shows simply how bad the egress harness rides up on you.

2jbo5jr.jpg

It doesn't take long at all to get unrigged. In fact, you all you really have to do is unzip your pants...no need to take any of the gear off.

I think you forgot an 'I' hawkdriver, thats the GEN III AirWarrior. I was gonna post some pix of all that stuff but its my day off and I didn't really feel like leaving my room. hahaha I'll post some pix later.

Jim McCauley
Alright, to start this off, here is a picture of the current Gen II Air Warrior ensemble. The ensemble consist of the PSGC (personal survival gear carrier), the Armor with SAPI inserts, the AACU flight suit, and then the HGU-56 helmet. A crewchief will typically wear the Maxillo Facial Shield (MFS) and will wear a second plate in the back of his vest. Pilots don't wear the back plate because the seat is armored.

2q04u37.jpg

2jbo5jr.jpg

Hello HD,

Are you there now. If so, I may be one of your replacements. Just a few more months and I'll be there.

Regards.

Jim

hawkdriver

Yep Swag, Gen III, that is the problem with posting at midnight!

No, I left almost eight months ago. Jeez, eight months ago! seems like yesterday. If you go to the other posting about ACU/DCU jackets, you will see the pilot that replaced me.

As for peeing, as Swag said, just unzip and then you use that little fly flap in your underwear that you always asked why it was there, well, I found out finally!!

Spathologist

2jbo5jr.jpg

I'm sure that's the *only* reason you posted that...

Jim - Maybe you're gonna be my replacement, 10th MTN is coming to replace us.

Varangian - Yep, it's still unit replacing unit.

Hawkdriver - Yeah posting at midnight does have its drawbacks. Thanks for the memo! I'll definitly get some pictures.

hawkdriver
I'm sure that's the *only* reason you posted that...

Trust me, if I was going to be swavay and de-boner, I wouldn't use this gear to do it!

It is unit replacement, when I say my replacement, I mean by position, my left/right seater.

hawkdriver

Here is a couple pictures of the vest laid out. It has two cumberbund pockets inside the front zipper that house the main gear. The tan bag is an additional bag that I carried for extra survival gear. Some guys put mag pouches on the outside of the vest, but I found that to heavy after awhile.

33e4tj8.jpg

fwfhv.jpg

Here's my vest. I'm one of those guys that likes to have the magazine pouch on there, just in case. I also keep the 6-magazine bandolier in my pubs bag on the center console. The radio pouch is next the center zipper and the mag pouch is right next to it. The small puch opposite the radio pouch holds a D-Ring and extractor strap. The two uppermost pouches hold a tourniquet and a mini-mag light.

post-2757-1210466243.jpg

In this picture you can see the two gear carriers partially stowed in the cumberbund pockets Hawkdriver mentioned.

post-2757-1210466261.jpg

Here's a close up of the two gear carriers that are stowed inside the cumberbund pockets. The first picture is the left gear carrier, it houses the first aid items: iodine, bandaids, medical gloves, asprine, moleskin, duct tape, etc.

post-2757-1210466656.jpg

The right gear carrier houses survival items, i.e. signal mirror, signal light, compass, etc.

post-2757-1210466677.jpg

Here's the survival knife and my old school kneeboard. Thats right, I'm one of two people I know of in the entire army that uses this relic of a kneeboard. hahaha

post-2757-1210467988.jpg

post-2757-1210468027.jpg

This is on the grip of the knife. The stamp ASEK is an acronym, if I'm not mistaken it stands for Aircrew Survival and Egress Knife. Been a while since I've had to impress anyone with that little bit of useless knowledge.

post-2757-1210468187.jpg

This picture is a close up of the blade and the seat belt cutter that comes with the knife. I much prefer this knifes predecessor; it had the seat belt cutter built into the blade of the knife, not only did it do a good job of cutting the seat belts but the blade looked really bad a$$!

post-2757-1210468217.jpg

hawkdriver

Here are the buckles. These are new proprietary buckles for the AW. This is the buckles in the snapped closed position.

jht3bt.jpg

Here is the buckle in the open position.

2eclyth.jpg

These previous two pictures are of the leg buckles that provide the extraction seat. This next picture is of the two chest buckles on the inside of the main zipper. Some guys will snap these and leave the zipper open.

2z8uxio.jpg

You are a stud! I have to have the TPL in mine, otherwise I get hotspots. You are my hero.

Hahaha...I have to have the TPL too. I was in the ALSE shop picking up me gear and thats when I took all the pictures, the *ahem* TPL was in my helmet bag.

I was going to post a pic of the blood chit but my TACOPs guy didn't think it would be a good idea since we're still in country. Mine is basically the same thing, a little larger and it has the "I am an American..." saying on there in 31 different languages.

They let you keep yours when you left Iraq, Hawkdriver? I'd sure like to keep mine.

hawkdriver

Oh no, it would have been easier to smuggle a weapon cache with hand grenades home than trying to bring that chit home. All the pictures that I have posted were taken while I was there for our ALSE files. I thought about the chit and since you can buy replicas that look identical, I didn't think it was a big issue.

Spathologist

Let's see the survival maps....

I love them. Wash one a couple of times and it's better than a woobie.

hawkdriver

You know, funny you ask. The requirement is that every aircrewman is to carry a set of the AO on his person. This meant eight maps and without carrying a fag bag around your neck, it was impractical, so we kept one set in the aircraft. When our first aircraft got shot down and the crew failed to recover them as they were hoofing it out of there, we quit carrying them all together. We had boxes and boxes of them laying around in the company TOC's gathering dust.