Hey guys,

There is an auction coming up featuring this DSC. I know they make repros of this medal. Is there anything I need to look for on it. I believe it is the French made version of the medal, exactly the type sold as repros.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. How about the going value on these right now?

-Ski

post-3043-1210218689.jpg

I visited the auction and took this shot of the medal. It looks 100% legit to me. The box looks right too for a French medal. I have a few with this sort of box.....

-Ski

post-3043-1210358435.jpg

The Phillipine medal could be a copy.Would need to see it up close.The one I have and the ones I have handled were numbered on the rim.I just dont handle that many and the ones I have had a numbered rim.Hard to say.The ribbon looks correct but again would like to handle it.Also looks like a service medal is it for Span Am or WW1?

I would buy that DSC if I had the chance.I just like the look of it and the box is a plus.

RON

I will definately be passing on the PI medal. It's a cast item with poor detailing.

-Ski

KASTAUFFER

The DSC is a French made copy from the time of WWI. It is not official issue. I would not pay a lot for it.

Kurt

The DSC is a French made copy from the time of WWI. It is not official issue. I would not pay a lot for it.

Kurt

mmmmm...... So I take it that French issue DSC's weren't issued?? I know that in Vernon's medal book, the French DSC is labeled a restrike. I don't know why. It was valued about 30% less than a US made one. I just wish I could find more on it. Big time thanks for the info.....

-Ski

KASTAUFFER
mmmmm...... So I take it that French issue DSC's weren't issued?? I know that in Vernon's medal book, the French DSC is labeled a restrike. I don't know why. It was valued about 30% less than a US made one. I just wish I could find more on it. Big time thanks for the info.....

-Ski

There is a Type I DSC made in the USA that looks very close to the French version but they are numbered . Some people will try to tell you th French made ones were issued to soldiers, but from what I have seen, there were mainly souvenirs.

Kurt

There is a Type I DSC made in the USA that looks very close to the French version but they are numbered . Some people will try to tell you th French made ones were issued to soldiers, but from what I have seen, there were mainly souvenirs.

Kurt

Well that's really interesting! I'll have to keep that in mind at auction. Thanks a ton!

-Ski

• 2 weeks later...

I won the DSC today at the auction. I got it for $247 including commision, very much on the high side, but I just don't run into cool stuff like this, especially with the box and ribbon. I can hear the cat-calling already, hehehe. I'm very happy with it, though. A Glider Troop's group was sold in another lot (see that posting). Here is a picture of the back of the ribbon bar.

-Ski

post-3043-1211650027.jpg

As a side note, I recalled that I had a WWI Victory ribbon I bought years ago that was made the same way as the DSC ribbon above. I checked it out and it was made by the same manufacturer, S.G.D.C. I thought it was pretty interesting to see another US ribbon made in France. I'm sure that you WWI collectors out there have seen tons of this stuff.

-Ski

post-3043-1211972444.jpg

post-3043-1211972458.jpg

On the DSC ribbon, " Bté S.G.D.G " is not a brand but means : "Breveté - Sans Garantie du Gouvernement" =" Patented - Without Guarantee of the Government "

its a legal marking on patented manufactured products from 1844 till 1968.

Nice medal...

Marne

• 1 year later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.