Aircraft called "DOTTIE" of the 508th Bomb Squadron

littlebuddy

Has anybody got any details of the above named aircraft ?? it is mentioned in a Vmail I have written by a ground crew member of the 508th BS . I have searched the web but with no luck as of yet !

many thanks in advance

LB

There was a B-17F, 42-29654, named "Dottie J" serving with the 508th as YB-B from July, 1943. It had previously served with the 96th Bomb Group starting the previous April, then saw some time with the 509th squadron until March, 1944 when it left the group and was returned to the U. S. Al

There was a B-17F, 42-29654, named "Dottie J" serving with the 508th as YB-B from July, 1943. It had previously served with the 96th Bomb Group starting the previous April, then saw some time with the 509th squadron until March, 1944 when it left the group and was returned to the U. S. Al

Al many thanks for the research , I think that could be the one ! as the V mail I have is dated April 3rd 44 , and he says "dottie has got to go he would be sad to see her leave and hopes the next one is a painted one ,as they are easier to keep clean "

would that make sense ??

LB

I don't know. It sounds like maybe he's losing a natural metal finish plane and hoping for a camouflage painted replacement.But, open to interpretation. Al