China Horse Marine EGA and US Eagle Bridle Roundels

kanemono

There has been some discussion about the roundels worn on the bridles of Horse Marines of the Mounted Detachment at the American Legation in Peiping, China. There has been a question about standard US Cavalry roundels being worn, They were without a doubt worn along with the EGA roundels. I have dozens of portraits of "Horse Marines" photographed with their horses. I scanned the photographs at a high resolution and there are a number of Marines' horses wearing the US Eagle on their bridles. These photographs were taken from 1934-1937. Another interesting point is that none of the stirrup hoods are embossed with USMC. A very small bit of information but interesting. The roundels pictured were brought back from China by John R. Angstadt who served as a member of the Mounted Detachment from 1934-1937. Most of the Mounted Detachments metal horse tack was chrome/nickel plated including the hilts of their Patton Sabers for full dress. The pair of US Eagle roundels he brought back are plated, the EGA roundel is not.

Dick.

post-9487-0-52662900-1386948863.jpg

post-9487-0-57532700-1386948873.jpg

post-9487-0-49712400-1386948882.jpg

Brig, The EGA roundel is not plated. The Roundel with the US Eagle is plated, also, the US Eagle roundel in the photograph isn't plated it's brass or bronze.

Dick

Brig, The EGA roundel is not plated. The Roundel with the US Eagle is plated, also, the US Eagle roundel in the photograph isn't plated it's brass or bronze.

Dick

that's what I was saying, just adding that I'd never seen the EGA one plated at all...

• 1 year later...

There has been some discussion about the roundels worn on the bridles of Horse Marines of the Mounted Detachment at the American Legation in Peiping, China. There has been a question about standard US Cavalry roundels being worn, They were without a doubt worn along with the EGA roundels. I have dozens of portraits of "Horse Marines" photographed with their horses. I scanned the photographs at a high resolution and there are a number of Marines' horses wearing the US Eagle on their bridles. These photographs were taken from 1934-1937. Another interesting point is that none of the stirrup hoods are embossed with USMC. A very small bit of information but interesting. The roundels pictured were brought back from China by John R. Angstadt who served as a member of the Mounted Detachment from 1934-1937. Most of the Mounted Detachments metal horse tack was chrome/nickel plated including the hilts of their Patton Sabers for full dress. The pair of US Eagle roundels he brought back are plated, the EGA roundel is not.

Dick.

Is that a camera pouch on the last bloke?

I have no idea. Dirk, if you see this post please let us know if you have an idea about this pouch.

Dick

Dick my guess is I would go with a camera case. They only had one locally made pouch and it was for 45 clips and the one shown is not it. Looks very similar but not a match to a Kodak Junior case