Storage of Uniforms, Documents and Medals Idea

BigJohn#3RD

Hi Folks,

I don't know about you but my storage of uniforms, document and medal groupings has gotten out of hand of hand. I use to keep the uniforms in two cedar closets then three and now regular closets. I like may of you worry about the moths and other hazards getting into them and do not particularly like the smell of moth balls cedar helps but only goes so far . A fellow forum member should me what he does so I have adopted the idea.

I use a plastic and cloth clothes bag for my uniforms. I purchase them at Walmart for somewhere between $2 to $3 each. I place the uniform and any information about the veteran in side the bag within reason, than place a cedar ring also purchased at Walmart on the hanger's neck. That way I can keep better track of my uniforms, documents and medals in one location. Besides building a museum anyone have other ideas they would like to share?

John

post-5224-0-81041500-1386887619.jpg

post-5224-0-28148600-1386887646.jpg

post-5224-0-13970600-1386887664.jpg

I believe Ziplock makes a garment bag that the air can be vacuumed out. I am curious if the plastic is safe. I would never vacuum them flat but maybe displace some air and being air tight can't be bad either as long as nothing pokes a hole in it.

Mike

The gentleman in question has been using them for a number of years on his WW2 uniforms and to date had no problems. I like being able to see the uniform, medals, Helmets and documents when searching for something.

Here are the bags, the one on the right is great when you have overcoats. Cost is $2.37 for the left/short one and $2.97 right/long one.

post-5224-0-54387100-1386955498.jpg