WW2 Purple Heart KIA B-17 Pilot

horridohutch

Monday 24 APR 1944 was the last day Lt William Nesen would fly. He took off from Great Ashfield in his B-17F S/N 42-3388 for Germany. The target was the Munich area and around Fredrichshafen the aircraft was struck by flak. Losing altitude the crew voted to fly home to England rather than the closer option of Switzerland. Approaching the coast of France around Calais the bomber was attacked by two ME-109s and shot down. I found this medal and certificate at a local swap meet and have found the following information and the photo of the aircraft through diligent research over the last 4 years. I will credit the son of the waist gunner PHIL WELLS with providing the Missing aircrew report and article about his father and the fateful mission. And now for us, the collectors to enjoy and for me a place of honor in my collection, the medal and provenence.... please read the following for a more concise recall of the mission.

The Pilots Medal

post-133566-0-64729000-1386819446.jpg

I apologize for the poor quality of the MACR and will work on getting it posted clear enough to read.

No apologizes needed. Thanks for posting. Robert

Any suggestions on getting the MACR more clear? On my computer it is fine but when I try to upload to the site and pre view it looks blurry as you guys can see here.... I tried to max out the pixels to 149 KB but still the same result, it is a png file

• 4 years later...

I finally have a picture of the crew, but only know one man so far.... the Navigator 2nd Lt James Delo, 2nd from the right. My feelings are that Mr Nesen is one of the gentlemen on the left.

post-133566-0-09500800-1537311953_thumb.jpg