SUBMARINES ALL

Redfin 1

Remembering "The GOOD TIMES " Have you ever thought about all of the GOOD TIMES you remember in your youth . Have you ever tried to relive those and get the same feelings you experienced then . Doesn't work does it ? I have thought about this for a long time and decided to write a poem about it .

Redfin 1

http://wowmp3.net/watch/F3c-WBn5cCg/george-burns-i-wish-i-was-eighteen-again

Remembering "The GOOD TIMES " Have you ever thought about all of the GOOD TIMES you remember in your youth . Have you ever tried to relive those and get the same feelings you experienced then . Doesn't work does it ? I have thought about this for a long time and decided to write a poem about it .

Redfin 1

George Burns says it well : http://wowmp3.net/watch/F3c-WBn5cCg/george-burns-i-wish-i-was-eighteen-again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you would like a picture of any boat put on this site please send Redfin 1 a message and I will try to get it on here . Submarines ALL .

Gerald McCleese is standing in the middle ( Shorter ) . Redfin Reunion Charleston ,SC

Admiral Admiral Richard Stanislaus Edwards

Became Commander Submarine Squadron SIX, with additional duty in command of Submarine Division TWELVE. In June 1937 he assumed command of the Submarine Base, New London, Connecticut, with additional duty in command of submarines and attending craft based there (title changed in October 1938 to Commander Submarine Squadron TWO). There he also served as Inspector of Ordnance in Charge, Naval Mine Depot, New London. While in that command, he participated in the successful salvage of the USS Squalus and the rescue of part of her crew when that submarine sank in approximately two hundred and forty feet of water off the Isles of Shoals, New Hampshire coast, in 1939. On this service he was awarded the Navy Cross. The citation follows in part:

"For distinguished service...as Aide and later as Senior Aide on the Staff of the Commander of the USS
Squalus
Rescue and Salvage Unit. At the first indication of trouble (he) dispatched the USS
of his command and proceeded himself from New London, Connecticut in a destroyer to the scene of the disaster, arriving the following day, May 24, 1939...His advice and cooperation were of inestimable value and conducted greatly to the rescue operations and final successful salvage of the USS
Squalus
."

• 2 weeks later...
uniformcollector

Thanks for starting this thread! Do you have any photos of the U.S.S. Drum. I have the uniform of one of its commanders and would love to associate another photo of the ship with it.

Thanks for starting this thread! Do you have any photos of the U.S.S. Drum. I have the uniform of one of its commanders and would love to associate another photo of the ship with it.

post-144008-0-09684200-1398047443.jpg

post-144008-0-35237200-1398047467.jpg

• 3 months later...

post-144008-0-57066600-1406219460.jpg

Shipmates,

I, previously, sent an email to you concerning this memorial for the 28 "Freshwater" boats, including Redfin. Here is additional information if you desire to make a contribution. I'm not advocating that you need to contribute, but informing you of the avenue to do so if you so desire.

Jim

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:24 AM, Steve Benicke <[email protected]> wrote:

Greetings to all who rode USS Redfin SS-272,
My name is Steve Benicke, qualified USS Corporal SS-346 1966, I am the Vice Commander of USS Chicago Base, Tinley Park, IL,USSVI. Together with Crash Dive Base, Lake Bluff, IL USSVI, we have undertaken to erect a submarine memorial in Chicago, Illinois.
Several years ago, we received a challenge from WWII combat veteran, Harry Alvey, USS Pompon SS-267, a member of our group "to not forget the significance of Pearl Harbor and Pearl Harbor Day." We took that challenge seriously!
Submarines played a critical role in WWII. The submarine force was the most effective anti-ship and anti-submarine weapon in the entire American arsenal. We also felt a need to inform the public about the part the U.S. Navy Submarine Service played in WWII all those years ago. The memorial will provide a place to reflect on that part of history.
The purpose of our memorial is to commemorate the 28 WWII submarines that were built in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, after Pearl Harbor, December 7,1941; perpetuate the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and will be dedicated to all US Navy submariners, past, present and future. The site of the memorial will be at a point in the Chicago River along the Riverwalk where these Manitowoc built boats entered inland waterways from Lake Michigan on their way to help achieve victory.
A detailed description of the Memorial is attached.
I am writing to invite you, as a former crew member of USS Redfin SS-272 which was built in Manitowoc, WI, to contribute to our Chicago Submarine Memorial Fund and become a part of this memorial project. We hope that you will assist us in this historically significant and submarine veteran's commemorative memorial.
All donations will be acknowledged as a tax-deductible contribution to our 501© (3) and/or 501©(19) War Veterans association status.
Construction is expected to take six months or less, at an estimated cost of $250,000. This will cover the cost of design, construction, construction materials and fees of those involved with the project.
We ask that you assist us in this undertaking. It has been estimated that there are approximately 1400 members of the various Manitowoc crews still around that belong to USSVI. If each member will donate just $5 or $10 to the "Chicago Submarine Memorial Fund", we will be well on our way towards building this memorial honoring all U.S. Submariners.
Contributions made to the "Chicago Submarine Memorial Fund, USSVI" can be sent to:
Chicago Submarine Memorial Fund
Mazon, IL. 60444
P.O. Box 27
or
Use the Paypal link on our website at http://www.crashdivebase.com/ , "Chicago Memorial" tab.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Fraternally,
Steve Benicke
Chicago Submarine Memorial Committee
QM3(SS)
VC USS Chicago Base, USSVI
U-505 Facilitator

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Redfin 1

https://www.facebook.com/349346331771691/videos/456580451048278/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video

• 4 years later...

I received a message from the daughter of one of our shipmates on Facebook . I hope she doesn';t mind me putting her name on this site . I will surely apologize and somehow get it removed if she does ( Joellyn Lazarek ) ( Jodie ) . I know by her inquisitive notes that she would like to have information about her Dad . My son Chris , who went to a Redfin reunion with me to Charleston S.C. was intrigued by talking with her Dad for a long period of time in the reunion room that was set up for us . Chris ( son ) met and was welcomed by most of the ones who attended . We enjoyed the whole week end there on our motorcycles as we visited places I remember from the times we were there in the ship yard .One place stood out in my mind was a fresh water beach ( I think Lyon's beach ) Was a place where me and some shipmates enjoyed on liberty . We returned there and it had been converted to a boy scout activity center . I intend to send Jodie pictures that I have of her Dad . I believe that I would enjoy seeing pictures of my Dad especially if he had passed away . I haven't visited this site in a long time now , but I intend to more often . " Happy New Year 2020 " To ALL . Bob Crane ( Redfin 1 )