Ed Bearss, WIA USMC Veteran & Civil War Historian

Patriot

Anyone that knows anything about the Civil War has no doubt heard of Ed Bearss. He has written numerous books on the Civil War, and has appeared in countless documentaries about the war. Even at 90 years old, Ed gives walking tours and lectures at Civil War battlefields and events, and anyone would agree that his knowledge about the war is equaled by NONE. I was very much aware that he was a World War II USMC veteran, but I was not aware that he was severely wounded at Suicide Creek, at the battle of New Britain! I was fortunate enough to find a wonderful interview with him on Youtube, which details his service in World War II, including the fight at Suicide Creek!.

Thanks for posting this! You are correct, he is very well know in the Civil War circles, but I don't think many people know of his service during WWII. He is also (IIRC) a distant cousin to one of the Marine Corp legends "Hiking Hiram" Bearss.

• 3 months later...
Legion Para

Ed served with the 3rd Raider Battalion and later with the 7th Marine Regiment.

From 1981 to 1994 he was the Chief Historian for the National Park Service. If you have the chance to take one of his Civil War tours, it's an experience you won't soon forget.