264th Chopper Battalion (HMM-264?)

itshistory

This a puzzler I have in my Marine folder. The title doesn't reflect anything that seems official in Marine aviation. One thing I put together is that HMM-264 is called Black Knights and I have found the horse head in a diamond on some patches. My guess is the center caricature represents HMM-264. The other caricatures may be a CH-53 (flying sh*tter), a Huey "taxi", A "frog" (CH-46) and a Cobra gunship unit. The dates on the bottom appear to have been 74-77 but someone pulled the 4 out. I think REIN indicates a larger composite unit but I am just assuming that from online sources. Is this some kind of cruise patch? MED could be short for Medium or maybe MED cruise. Any help appreciated.

IH

post-12336-0-26760700-1386771633.jpg

Yes, I agree about it being a play on Army lingo. Even then "chopper" is informal. This a pretty big patch by most standards, 7-1/2" round. Thanks for the insight.

IH

Patchcollector

Looks like a "gag" instead of a "gaggle" piece :) I've heard of the "Phrogs",the taxi could be a "Huey",the Cobra is self explanatory,and is that a flying toilet?! :o:lol:

Yes, it's a flying toilet. The nickname of the CH-53 was the " shitter" so the flying toilet is in reference to a unit flying the CH-53.

IH

On several deployments I have been on, there was the official squadron patch, the detachment or det patch (i.e. the CH-53 or Shitter guys would have their own patch usually worn on the shoulder), there was the deployment patch worn by everyone usually HMM-XXX (REIN) [Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron fill in the number reinforced]. Today they would be VMM-XXX (REIN) and at times they were composite vs. reinforced so that a © would be used. Usually all of the above would have command approval even after some of them just showed up.....Then there were patches like this one. these usually were designed by a junior marine as a fun thing to do and the CO would usually find out about it and say something like I better not catch anyone wearing anything like that (didn't want that to represent his command. These patches are usually the hardest to find since they were made in very limited runs (many one of a kind) and many times are the most colorful and artistic you will see.

Did I mention that I love it.

Semper Fly John

Not sure if anyone mentioned, the horse in the middle is the squadrons mascot, similar to the horse head you see on their actual patch. I was in this squadron in the 80's and 90's, we called him Mr. Ed. Cool patch - Jeff