Is this a 1930s or 40's desk fan?

VeeVee

I'm hoping to add a 1930's or early 40's type electric fan to my WW2 related collection. Would this fan qualify?

Thanks for any 2 cents.

old_fan.jpg

The marking on the hub looks like the astrological sign for Virgo, oddly enough. It could also be a stylized "NP". The cord looks too modern, but then cords are easily replaced.

I don't have a close up but it's actually "MP" for Mimar Products, Brooklyn NY. The fan model is HO-410.

I'm thinking about getting it as period accent to my WW2 stuff along with other items like Lucky Strike tin case, wood tube radio, maybe a black rotary phone, etc.

I don't have to get this one, there's lots to choose from. I don't know my vintage fans. Those that I thought were WW2 era turned out to be 19'teens and 20's era after some research. This is a candidate though for $20.

It definately has an art deco look which would place it from late 20s to mid-40s. The model number should allow you to narrow a date down with some research. For $20 I would put it in a WW2 display, definately not later than the 40s.

Nice fan, BTW.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting this one instead. It's a small desk fan and serves as a nice accent for a WW2 collection.

As a result of researching fans, I discovered a sub-hobby of collecting and/or restoring vintage electric fans. I can totally see the draw. Very interesting hobby.

vintagefan1.jpg

vintagefan2.jpg

vintagefan3.jpg

I think you chose the right fan.

The whole table top scene you put together is very nice.

But where is your lap top. :P

I'm waiting for a couple more items and I'll take pictures of the whole basement corner again. It's my escape-from-it-all corner of the house :)

Couldn't go wrong either way! I love these old fans and have a couple. There is definately a group of collectors out there and they can go for big bucks. The chords are usually updated and if you intend to run one I suggest you do the same. Other than that, these things just keep on running.

Couldn't go wrong either way! I love these old fans and have a couple. There is definately a group of collectors out there and they can go for big bucks. The chords are usually updated and if you intend to run one I suggest you do the same. Other than that, these things just keep on running.

I agree, update the chord if you intend to use it. The old chord can be a real fire hazard. You can buy period reproduction chord that meets modern standards of safety. It also easy to replace yourself.

Well the fan is primarily for display, not for running. I do have a slight itch to get a fully restored one not for the display but as an accent piece elsewhere in the house. For now I refuse to scratch the itch haha. But I'm drawn to that old fan thing.

A couple more pictures of the fan. I have a Philippine defense/Bataan theme to my WW2 basement display.

collectiondisplay35.jpg

collectiondisplay26.jpg

collectiondisplay34.jpg

It's just in one corner (right).

collectiondisplay1.jpg

Just a sample look of the other sides.

collectiondisplay5.jpg

collectiondisplay10.jpg

Or what about... a vintage record player? A black rotary phone? Period typewriter? art deco style desk microphone? (I already have a 1941 Glenn Miller record coming...)

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a green, crank (no electricity) suitcase-style military record player. It is featured on my desk, together with some V disc records. (BTW, I know a shop that has affordable V discs.

Does anyone have a manual for these record players? Mine runs slow, and I need to know how to pick up the speed. I see there is a speed lever, but that doesn't do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice display. Lots of depth. I have always wanted to do a display of some the items that went to "War". Wooden stapler, roll of adhesive tape with a fiber board tab instead of metal, cardboard clock....there are literally thousands of items that were remade to conserve metal usage during the war. You could have before and after pics of the items. I saw an electric fan made of bake light but I did not acquire it, it had an early - mid forties patent date, so possibly it qualified.

Cheers, Dave