Wool Service Coat, 17th Co., 3rd Air Service Mechanic Rgmt. Cpl R. Swartwood

Sully

This uniform belonged to CPL Ray Swartwood of White Hall, ILL. This uniform came as part of a grouping that contained many field gear pieces, his photograph and discharge papers. I cannot identify his unit from what is on the discharge papers, could any of you?

post-131982-0-89774600-1386718038.jpg

Campaign hat with wrong color hat cord. Seems to have been normal during the war. My Great-Grandfather was a medic and his campaign hat has a quatermaster corps cord.

post-131982-0-71335500-1386718283.jpg

I am posting his discharge in three parts, otherwise you would not be able to see details. This list his unit as 17th Co. erd Regt A.S.M. Does anyone know what this is?

post-131982-0-04221500-1386718548.jpg

SWEET! Does it say where he went through mechanics school at? (Kelly field)??

In the third photo of the discharge, it shows that he was assigned to Hancock, GA, which was the location of Camp Hancock which was the same location that my 3rd ASM vet served before going overseas.

Also of interest, Swartwood sailed on the same date as my 3rd ASM vet, so I would assume that Swartwood was also aboard the PATRIA.

Thank you for identifying the unit. I got this uniform at a flea market when I was 16. His picture and the discharge paper was in the tunic pocket and it came with a box of web gear, 1910 pack, cartridge belt, mess kit, silverware set, etc. Camp Hancock is also were the 28th Division trained before going over and I bought this in Pennsylvania.