Experimental Kevlar

Le Garenne 78

Le Garenne 78

I got that helmet from the man who helped Chris Arnold, regarding the photograph aspect of the book " Steel Pot" on page 252

deadpeoplesjunk

Back in the late 70's maybe early 80's I saw [if memory serves me right] the first style fritz helmet before they were being issued at the Lakeland gun show.. I think a guy who sold surplus named brock had it but I could be wrong there too. It had, If I remember correctly ,a factory cammo in the Kevlar or fiberglas or whatever the first ones were made of. I think he wanted around 175 or so for it and I thought that was nuts, the guy behind me snapped it up after I put it down. I heard later it was experimental and I should have bought it. I never regretted not buying it because I liked the older stuff at that time. its wasn't green cammo, I believe it was like a grey and black or possibly white grey and black.

This certainly appears to be a 1970s prototype PASGT, judging by the shape of the rim (production PASGT helmets had a simplified shape around the rim). Many of these prototypes were left unfinished, and were used simply to test production methods, produce molds/jigs for production, etc. There's still a lot about these helmet types that have not been documented. Even in my limited experience with prototype PASGTs, I have come across several undocumented, unpublished PASGT prototype helmet variants. The current published information simply isn't adequate for telling collectors much about them.