14,000 WW 1 Liberty Loan Patches

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

Recently in MA 14,000 WW 1 Liberty Loan Patches were put on consignment with an auction house that has been listing them on eBay. ID is cncauctionhouse . Be careful not to pay the prices he is asking. He will be selling them for years and the prices will drop drastically over the next year.

nothing wrong with those starting bids,,and as far as the 14,000 as a number of patches he has, I have a hard time beleaving that one. Just my 2 cents..

WorldWarPatches

Go ahead and buy one, after the rest hit the market the one you buy will be worth 10% of what you paid. What over the next year or so.

Pat is correct there are at least 14000 of them and thats a conservative number.And even at 20.00 a piece thats a lot of moola.Scotty

Patchcollector

Thanks Pat for the heads up.Interesting news.My take on collecting anything is this:if you're in it for the money,then sooner or later you're bound to be disappointed.

Having stated that,I'm going to throw out some thoughts on this subject.

Here's what I think may happen.Eventually,the patches will get sold,and dispersed around again.May take awhile,but prices will go up again.The seller could(but probably won't),sit on them and release them slowly,trying to keep prices as high as possible.The reason I don't think that will happen is that if he has 14k of them to sell,even if he sold them for 20 apiece he would make some pretty decent money,but then again,I would'nt know what he paid for them to begin with!

Thanks for posting this. I bought one of these at the very reasonable (by today's standards) starting bid and it's a nice patch and I like it. It will be interesting to see how the market handles thIs glut.

From what I have heard it was only a matter of time before the Liberty Loan market became flooded. As owner of only a few patches in this series I'm actually somewhat excited at a devaluation of them as I would very much enjoy adding more to my collection but not at yesterday's prices. Sucks if you own a lot of them and thought of them as an investment.

-Vance

I checked these out and have no problem with them. I also think he will sell a few at his current asking prices, as the prices he has on them are very fair. However, I believe he will realize that if he cuts his asking prices in half, he will move these suckers quickly. You have to believe he will make a serious chunk of change when this is all said and done.

I plan on sitting back and watch what things happen.

Patchcollector

I checked these out and have no problem with them. I also think he will sell a few at his current asking prices, as the prices he has on them are very fair. However, I believe he will realize that if he cuts his asking prices in half, he will move these suckers quickly. You have to believe he will make a serious chunk of change when this is all said and done.

I plan on sitting back and watch what things happen.

I agree.I'm going to watch and see which route he takes;either the quick sale and to heck with the prices,or dole them out little by little and try and keep prices up.So far though,his stuff is selling.I admit I bought the 92nd "Buffalo Soldiers" piece for the asking price.It's my first and only "Liberty Loan" piece,I kept getting outbid on others(from other sellers) in the past ;man some of them went for big money!

I'm glad to have it,and have no regrets,but now I'm armed with this new info and I'll act accordingly.A couple of points I do want to make.First,no one except the seller knows how many of each there are.

There may be 13,000 of the common units and the rest the less common ones.Next,these obviously came from a hoard,who's to say that another hoarder does'nt buy them up and lock them away for another 50 years.

Also,when I think back on it,when I first started seriously collecting the VN war pieces,I was paying on the average more,sometimes alot more,than I'm paying now.

I think that several factors account for this.One,sad to say,the vets(and collectors) are passing and "new" stuff is surfacing.This is also true for the pieces mentioned in this thread too,I'm thinking.(Collectors only,the WW1 vets are long gone)

Anyway,it's going to be interesting,just hope that he does'nt sell the whole lot to another hoarder if everyone quits bidding on them! :D

I believe that the seller is very astute and will not glut the market. There is more than one source now;perhaps 3or 4. They all came from one oldtime collecter and the dealer in question has the bulk of it. I am pretty sure that there is NOT an equal number of patches and that some are much more abundant and some they do not have at all. It is obvious the prices will come down and stabilize to a reasonable price remembering that these are REAL and PERIOD pieces and should sell for atleast what other WW1 patches sell . Just my thought. Mort

Patchcollector

Thanks for the info Mort.It amazes me that just one collector could amass such a sizeable number of these.I'm wondering if he bought out an old inventory?

I also wonder why someone would want all of them.Must have been a"Liberty loan" obsession?!

I believe that the seller is very astute and will not glut the market. There is more than one source now;perhaps 3or 4. They all came from one oldtime collecter and the dealer in question has the bulk of it. I am pretty sure that there is NOT an equal number of patches and that some are much more abundant and some they do not have at all. It is obvious the prices will come down and stabilize to a reasonable price remembering that these are REAL and PERIOD pieces and should sell for atleast what other WW1 patches sell . Just my thought. Mort

Mort, it's interesting that he sold has a fair amount of patch king, WWI patches from the 1940s. He might have 5,000 of these. Only time will tell. Dan

Garth Thompson

A little simple math would indicate a market flood and subsequent major price drop is inevitable. The seller seems to list about 45 or so a week which would take 318 weeks or 6 years to dispose of all the patches. They will either have to start selling in large groupings, drop the prices drastically or wait 6 years to dispose of everything. They seem to sell a lot of other kinds of things so I'm guessing they don't want to fool around with 14K patches for six years.

Garth

A little simple math would indicate a market flood and subsequent major price drop is inevitable. The seller seems to list about 45 or so a week which would take 318 weeks or 6 years to dispose of all the patches. They will either have to start selling in large groupings, drop the prices drastically or wait 6 years to dispose of everything. They seem to sell a lot of other kinds of things so I'm guessing they don't want to fool around with 14K patches for six years.

Garth

Garth, good point. Especially since it appears to be an auction house selling the patches. Do you know where the patches came from? At the recent Ft. Belvoir show, a buddy of mine said one of the long time patch guys (I didn't know him and don't recall the name) had passed away and his wife was selling his patches through an auction house or houses. My buddy said that she was was getting a million dollars for all of his patches. Something I found hard to believe until I saw this forum! Dan

Garth Thompson

Garth, good point. Especially since it appears to be an auction house selling the patches. Do you know where the patches came from? At the recent Ft. Belvoir show, a buddy of mine said one of the long time patch guys (I didn't know him and don't recall the name) had passed away and his wife was selling his patches through an auction house or houses. My buddy said that she was was getting a million dollars for all of his patches. Something I found hard to believe until I saw this forum! Dan

Dan,

I'll bet she isn't getting a million $ for the patches but is either asking or wishing she will get a million. Basic economics & marketing apply here, supply and demand. 14K liberties far exceed the demand I would imagine. Once every interested collector has what they want the rest will be virtually worthless, no demand. If these were mine I would break them up into commemorative groupings made up of one of each example and sell them that way as the WW1 anniversaries approach advertising in not just collector publications but history magazines and similar kinds of publications and of course BIN ebay sales.

Garth

The 14000 estimate is very low and this will damage the market for years to come.Case in point 25 years ago 300-400 Japanese Tanker helmet were found in a bunker on one of the islands they used to be worth 300.00 in the mid 80s.The price then went down to 75-100.It took 12-15 years for them to return to 300.00 they have now climbed back to 700.00 to 1000.00.I have heard from great sources that the number of insignia we are talking about is so high it will make your nose bleed.If you think the guy that has them is going to feed 25-50 of these per week for ever I think you are mistaken the wonder of it all will wear off and you will see batches of them sold to other dealers and the price will bottom out because of supply exceeding demand.I as a dealer would not buy this batch because at almost 74 I would not see them sold in my lifetime.Scotty

Patchcollector

Wow,thanks for the additional info Bill.I'm glad I only bought one!Which BTW,is my only Liberty Loan piece in my collection.I wanted more,but kept getting outbid on them!Now I'm glad I lost all those past auctions!Does anyone have any idea just how in the heck the original owner amassed such a huge collection?

The 14000 estimate is very low and this will damage the market for years to come.Case in point 25 years ago 300-400 Japanese Tanker helmet were found in a bunker on one of the islands they used to be worth 300.00 in the mid 80s.The price then went down to 75-100.It took 12-15 years for them to return to 300.00 they have now climbed back to 700.00 to 1000.00.I have heard from great sources that the number of insignia we are talking about is so high it will make your nose bleed.If you think the guy that has them is going to feed 25-50 of these per week for ever I think you are mistaken the wonder of it all will wear off and you will see batches of them sold to other dealers and the price will bottom out because of supply exceeding demand.I as a dealer would not buy this batch because at almost 74 I would not see them sold in my lifetime.Scotty

Scotty, are the patches from this estate only from WWI or from all wars? I'm thinking I should hold off on buying any more patches if they're from WWII, Korea and Vietnam as well!

I only know about the Liberty Loans nothing else.Who ever the man was he must have bought out a manufacturers lot or a supply depot lot.Scotty

Patchcollector

Wow.There must have been alot of these left over and he was probably in the right place at the right time.Thanks for the info Scotty

Garth Thompson

It appears there are now two ebay sellers of the Liberty horde: cnauctionhouse and histroicalauctions both are located is Massachusetts oddly enough.