9 pocket Medical Belts

LtRGFRANK

I have two 9 pocket Med Belts. Both made by Mills. One a rimmed Eagle snap. The other LTD. On the end Pockets on both there is a inside sewn Extra flap/pocket. Would that be to store safety pins?

post-551-0-42090800-1386693457.jpg

Somewhere on here is a listing of the contents for the belts and what pockets they go in. The end pockets as I recall have two different contents such as a couple boxes of iodine and something else and the divider just helps keep them separate. I believe the safety pins were mounted on a card.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did these belts ever see use in WWII? I ask because the medics in the movie ATTACK! can be seen wearing these belts during the initial assault on the town.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did these belts ever see use in WWII? I ask because the medics in the movie ATTACK! can be seen wearing these belts during the initial assault on the town.

I'd be interested in knowing that as well.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
RelicHunter99

Nope, they didn't. In 1920 I believe it was determined that the belts were too cumbersome for medics to wear while trying to crawl to the aid of fallen soldiers. The medical board of the military decided a backpack would be better suited for their task. Oddly enough, they were using backpacks before 1915, so the 10 pocket medical belt really was only used during a short period in WW1.