Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 FA pouch... Airborne

Fausto

ThompsonSavage

To set the record straight and avoid any confusion: there are 5 different models of JQMD-made first aid pouches (of which 2 are 'pointed flap' models)

- M1910
- M1924: pointed flap center seam
- M1924: pointed flap double seam
- M1924: 'normal' short flap
- M1942

...and this is without even going into the different styles of markings

Hi Thompson and you all guys...

As you know I'm an avid collector of JQMD pouches... And, yes, I totally agree with your list of different models but for the third "1924 pointed flap double seam"... I didn't knew about this variation until a Forum fellow posted this very small but interesting picture of what seems a "pointed flap double seam", but I'm not still convinced. It could be a transitional model before they turned to the "standard" M1924 "normal" short flap, but it could simply be a "normal" short flap with the fastener applied a little higher on the flap (just partially covering the U.S.)

Who knows?

Fausto

post-8381-0-87754700-1394127944.jpg

Guys,

On the subject of the "Airborne" first aid pouch, I agree that all it takes is one or two examples of a standard issue piece of gear showing up in wartime Airborne photos, and then suddenly it's "Airborne-specific" [ha ha]. How many times have we seen a GP ammo carrying bag listed as an "Airborne demolition bag" based on the series of photos taken with Eisenhower immediately prior to D Day? Or the early war Training Gas Mask bags "as issued to Airborne troops in North Africa", conveniently forgetting that we can probably find more photos of that bag being used in the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941?

OK, enough of my soap box speechifying. I've always thought first aid pouches were really interesting, probably because one of the first pieces of WW2 gear I had as a kid was an OD green M1942 pouch mfg by DUBUQUE TENT & AWNING CO. [as I recall] and dated 1945. I've always found the pointed flap JQMD 1942 pouch interesting due to its construction. If I can ever figure out how to re-size and post photos I will try and post a few of the different types of pouches I've run across over the years. Always enjoy seeing the Old Web Gear Photo Show here on the USMF.

Alan

Guys,

On the subject of the "Airborne" first aid pouch, I agree that all it takes is one or two examples of a standard issue piece of gear showing up in wartime Airborne photos, and then suddenly it's "Airborne-specific" [ha ha]. How many times have we seen a GP ammo carrying bag listed as an "Airborne demolition bag" based on the series of photos taken with Eisenhower immediately prior to D Day? Or the early war Training Gas Mask bags "as issued to Airborne troops in North Africa", conveniently forgetting that we can probably find more photos of that bag being used in the Louisiana Maneuvers of 1941?

OK, enough of my soap box speechifying. I've always thought first aid pouches were really interesting, probably because one of the first pieces of WW2 gear I had as a kid was an OD green M1942 pouch mfg by DUBUQUE TENT & AWNING CO. [as I recall] and dated 1945. I've always found the pointed flap JQMD 1942 pouch interesting due to its construction. If I can ever figure out how to re-size and post photos I will try and post a few of the different types of pouches I've run across over the years. Always enjoy seeing the Old Web Gear Photo Show here on the USMF.

Alan

Alan,

What I do is email the photo to myself in a smaller size format, it will ask you what size you want to send in your email. Then when I get the photo in my email, I copy it and save it from my email to my pictures and you have, in the smaller size . work great!

Craig

• 1 year later...

Yes. Don't forget the bandages. Just as much fun collecting them. When I started in Law Enforcement in the 60s our first aid kits were filled with surplus WWII Items. Wish I would have saved more. We threw crates full away.

attachicon.gifbandages.jpg

attachicon.gifbandages2.jpg

attachicon.gifbandages2.jpg

Ltrg Frank,

Anyway I could get a closeup photo of the Navy Contract Tourniquet 2-1311?

Thank you,

LF