Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 FA pouch... Airborne

Fausto

Hello Gentlemen!

Ok, we all know the (wrong) legend about the Jeff.Q.M.D. 1942 "pointed flap" First Aid Pouch as being issued to Airborne troops... Same (wrong) legend about the M1941 mounted canteen cover... Remember the iconic picture of Lt. Kelso Horne wearing the M1941 canteen cover? Too bad the picture doesn't show his FA pouch, but now I would bet...

Here three fine pictures found on the net : Saint-Marcouf, Normandy, June 6th 1944, in both pics the Sgt. wears not only the "pointed flap" FA pouch but as well the M19141 canteen cover. And in the other pic, taken a bit later in Holland, another paratrooper sports the "pointed flap" FA.

Well, if these two items were not peculiar to Airborne troops, at least they were surely in wide use among those fine guys...

Fausto

If 2 guys out of 30,000-ish in the 101st and 82nd equals widespread use, all I have to do is find another photo of an Airborne guy with a Gurkha Kukri to be able to say they were were in widespread use too. Cool!

;)

Thanks LtRGFrank ! There are some nice collections of Normandy battle pictures on the net... And they are a mine of gold...

Aaaah, glenm... you broke my dreams... but obviously you're right (grrrrrr...)... Ok, I will erase the word "wide" and I will say just "in use"... Can I? LOL

Fausto

Fausto,

The majority of the WWII Airborne Troopers in the war went throught boot camp in '42 and were issued all new gear and never changed it out for newer gear in '44 for D Day.

One thing I found is JEEF QMD made rubberized mustette bags in 1944 were they made up for the Troopers? I figured the the rubberized musette bags were made up in 1941 & 42? only but not! picture here as it was in the photo the M1924 JEFF QMD 1942 first aid pouch, M1941 dismount canteen cover J.W. Johnson co. 1943 & The M1936 JEFF OMD 1944 rubberized musette bag.

Nice find! thanks for sharing it with us!!

Craig

post-7997-0-24282400-1386733832.jpg

Craig, that's a good explanation... And by the way your stuff is amaizing... very neat and pristine examples...

In the meanwhile I got another fine picture, this time taken in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont... The guy sports an old fashioned M1910 FA pouch. It could surely be a WWI item, but I incline to think that it is a M1910 J.Q.M.D.1942, oddly made just before the Depot turned out to the pointed flap with the same date...

Fausto

Ian... where is the wound tablet packet? I have to agree with GlenM regarding the airborne pics... only 1 picture, were the 82nd even at Normandy .... of course this is only bad humor ..

Thanks for posting the great pics and collection pieces. There are great pics on the web and with the two large airborne books that have been released in the last year there is endless room for discovery.

Regards,

CC

Ps... we all know the 2nd Armored Div was the focal point of the invasion and break out of Normandy so why are we talking about pointed FA pouches... shouldn't the discussion be about some sort of goggle or compass...

Reading through this discussion, I went upstairs to check out how many of these little M1924 Dressing Pouches I had laying around; here's just part of what I'd forgotten about. Here is an M1924 (left, featuring one of my favorite "leftovers" from the past- a surplus store price tag :D) compared to a '42:

post-3226-0-31569000-1387162262.jpg

Hanging around, with another on a Pistol Belt behind (not as killer as Ian's display, but..better than nothin' :blush:)...

post-3226-0-57613000-1387162577.jpg

Hi Flage Guy,

nice pouches indeed... Are you sure that the tag on the R.M.T. CO. 1942 is a surplus store price tag and not a CS tag, maybe with the CS faded away? And yes, the B.A.B.CO. stamp was the later style markings by Betty Ann Bag Co. (much rarer to find in the early full markings and in pristine condition).

I would be very happy to know if someone of you FA pouches guys knows the manufacturer who stands behind the R.M.T. CO. stamp. Up today I couldn't identify it.

As for your last question, I would say that the rarity of these pouches depends by makers and by years, being the 1940 and 1941 dated ones the more difficult to locate...

Cheers!

Fausto

... I agree, ThompsonSavage... And I have to say that after years of looking for one nice pointed flap Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 pouch, in less than 12 months I was so lucky to find four of them, all mint, one in Canada and three in Europe... Just matter of luck, I think...

I dug mine out and their both Jeff QMD dated 42 and 43. Thanks for the ID of B.A.B. co. Always wondered what that stood for. I have a B.A.B. one dated 42 but its not the pointed flap style. Robert

ThompsonSavage

The pointed flap was only utilised by JQMD for a short time in 1942. During that year, JQMD transitioned from the pointed flap with center seam to a pointed flap without center seam to the 'normal' model M1924 FA pouch without pointed flap.

ThompsonSavage
And I have to say that after years of looking for one nice pointed flap Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 pouch, in less than 12 months I was so lucky to find four of them, all mint, one in Canada and three in Europe... Just matter of luck, I think...

You know what they say Fausto, pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Hi Guys...

LtRGFRANK, if your pouches are pointed flap and center seams they must be both 1942... As wisely told by ThompsonSavage it does exist (just seen one in a small picture) a 1942 "transitional" pouch with pointed flap and standard double seam. This could be - in my opinion - one of the rarest Depot made pouches before they turned to the standard M1924.

I posted many times my Depot "treasures" in many topics, trying to explain the evolution of these JQMD pouches and their markings. And as I said many times this could be a very nice sub-collection of FA pouches...

Fausto