Current flight helmets

man860

hey guys,

what are the current issue flight helmets for helicopter pilots, etc. anyone have pictures of theirs to share?

HGU-56P is current for all the Army, except the gunbunnies.

And that gunbunny helmet sucks! That was the worst thing I had to put up with in 64's. Give me the SPH4 any day. thumbsup.gif Oh, yeah, I'm dating myself all the way back to the ones with a single visor.

Can't let the pink bunny go without this one, some where over west Texas. My wife had a very good sense of humor with going away presents -

post-2964-1210129853.jpg

hawkdriver
HGU-56P is current for all the Army, except the gunbunnies.

Actually, that is coming to an end as well. I talked to the PM the other day and he stated that the HGU-56 is in the final stages for issue to replace the IHADS.

Ahh, I miss my old SPH-4B.

I still have the last one of those I was issued, still has the NVG mount on it. Pays to be friends with the ALSE guy.

It pays even more when you are the ALSE guy! I got lots o'cool stuff.

I usually ended up with lot's of cool stuff whenever the IG inspection rolled around. Somebody had to hide all that extra stuff. :rolleyes:

101CH47 - When we were getting ready to unit move to Ft. Riley from Germany I had to pack up my ALSE shop. I found a box with 63 AN/PRC-90 radio's, around 150 orange Mustang suits, and about 30 over water MAC-10 suits. None of that stuff was on a hand receipt anywhere. Gave the radios to a buddy of mine at the 214th in Heidelberg and the MAC-10's to a buddy with the fixed wings in Weisbaden. I took 250 SARVIPS and about 200 Griffen Body Armor sets with me, amongst the plethora of other stuff, to Riley.

101CH47 - When we were getting ready to unit move to Ft. Riley from Germany I had to pack up my ALSE shop. I found a box with 63 AN/PRC-90 radio's, around 150 orange Mustang suits, and about 30 over water MAC-10 suits. None of that stuff was on a hand receipt anywhere. Gave the radios to a buddy of mine at the 214th in Heidelberg and the MAC-10's to a buddy with the fixed wings in Weisbaden. I took 250 SARVIPS and about 200 Griffen Body Armor sets with me, amongst the plethora of other stuff, to Riley.

Don't pop it up all on Ebay at once. w00t.gif You may get a phone call you don't want.

Spathologist
Give me the SPH4 any day. thumbsup.gif Oh, yeah, I'm dating myself all the way back to the ones with a single visor.

I also miss my SPH4..A, not the B. With the rubber hose clamped around it to hold the NVGs on and the single visor...

I really didn't like the HGU-56 while flying OH-58Cs, the cockpit was too small for it and I was always getting the damned thing wedged in something. It still has the yellow paint streaks from hitting the door jettison handle every time I looked down at my kneeboard...

What sold me was the mandibulofacial shield. I think that's the greatest thing since sliced bread, after having to walk around with a semi-permanent case of "measles" and spending hours plucking glass and plastic out of my face.

Helmets have actually come a long way in 20-someodd years.

Jim McCauley

Damn! How many Army Aviators are on here? w00t.gif

We can start a sub-forum! :lol:

Jim

Damn! How many Army Aviators are on here? w00t.gif...

I was thinking the same thing but, it is great to know we have these guys here on the forum even if they have bullet holes, pick bunnies, swords and strange purple creatures... ah, is there a trend here? ermm.gif

Jim McCauley
I was thinking the same thing but, it is great to know we have these guys here on the forum even if they have bullet holes, pick bunnies, swords and strange purple creatures... ah, is there a trend here? ermm.gif

For what it's worth, I don't fly with any of those things. crying.gif An occasional inflatable sheep but none of that other stuff. ;)

For what it's worth, I don't fly with any of those things. crying.gif An occasional inflatable sheep but none of that other stuff. ;)

It may be time to invoke the "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" policy! :)

Jim McCauley

:lol: It belongs to one of the crewchiefs. It's become a sort of deployment mascot.

Several have "paid the ultimate sacrifice" while climbing to altitude during cross countries.

Several have "paid the ultimate sacrifice" while climbing to altitude during cross countries.

For future reference:

TM 1-RDRR-237-69

OPERATORS MANUAL FOR SHEEP, AERIAL, INFLATABLE

NOTE

Ensure SHEEP, AERIAL, INFLATABLE is stored in a cool, dry place when not in use.

CAUTION

Service with MIL-L-7808 or KYJ-L-23699 only.

WARNING

For flight above altitudes listed in Chapter 5, improper inflation may result in ‘blow out’ of device and possible injury, ridicule, and a new nickname for the unlucky operator.

hawkdriver

That mic is the new flexible mic that I am testing for the HGU-56 for Gentex. It is good to not only be ALSE, but to be the BN ALSE that worked the BDE ALSE for deployment. I am giving a presentation at the ALSE conference this year on the equipment and how it "wore" during deployment, some see me.

Here, let me date myself, I can remember taking the full face PVS-5s and cutting them according to instructions so that we could put the rubber hose on our helmets!!! Anyone remember Nighthawk?? Can't be afraid if you can't see???

Spathologist
Here, let me date myself, I can remember taking the full face PVS-5s and cutting them according to instructions so that we could put the rubber hose on our helmets!!! Anyone remember Nighthawk?? Can't be afraid if you can't see???

Nighthawk is definitely something they should bring back...

And I kept the rubber hose on my SPH-4 until I was forced to replace it with a HGU-56. Towards the end I got all kinds of questions about that tube...

Varangian, Hawkdriver - Wow, you guy's are old. hahaha I have a SPH-4 with the tube you guys are talking about, but it wasn't mine. I picked it up from an ALSE shop during my travels.

That fancy mic boom lookes alot like the ones we have on our Bose headsets. BTW, either of you guys using the ZetaLiner from OregonAero? That thing is worth its weight in gold, beats the dog snot out of the TPL.