Crusty old great war gas mask.

mdeming1

I have an old gas mask from ww1 in very poor and brittle condition. Is there anyway to bring it back to some sort of presentable form or should I just toss it?

Thanks

SergeantMajorGray

You can't really do anything to help a mask that old anything you do could cause more damage. If you are going to toss it I would like to have it for a display.

To quote my grandpa, it ain't eating anything. The majority of WWI gas masks are crusty. Keep it or give/sell to someone that can use it in their collections.

I can't recommend putting anything on a WWI gas mask to soften it.

Most WWI gas masks are hard and crispy, 90 years of heat,ozone, age, etc. can't be undone. It's normal for them to to be hard anymore.

RC

I should clarify, the mask is collapsed in half and crusty and won't open up. I was hoping to get it open some for display without tearing it in half. I'll try to find that box and take a photo so you can see how it is. Tossing it out was a very poor choice of words. If I got rid of it it would go to a collector.

Thanks everyone. It was in really bad shape when I got it many years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. I'll find it and post a few photos. Now to figure out what to do with the strap that is about to tear off of the Mae West.

I have seen the tropical rubberized slings from japanese rifles softened with heat from a hair dryer.Its a slow process and once they cool they go back to being stiff.This is usually done to reshape them a little and to often remove them from a rifle.

I have had several USMC ponchos that were stiff and in need of cleaning.I would lay them out flat and hit them with a water hose.It took off the old dirt and dust and softened them but they were stiff once they dried,I have wanted to try one in fabric softener but havent found a donor poncho yet.

It may work on your mask as well.Maybe enough to get the mask open and place a form or block of wood to hold it open til it cools to shape.

I think one member had some luck with Armor all on a WW1 mask but it was tedious work and a slow process.A silicon solution that is used to treat the gaskets on sun roofs and doors may also work but in the end it wont cure the existing damage time has inflicted.It may help with softening the item but it wont cure it

The problem I have seen with WWI gas masks it once they get hard the rubber tends to flake off of the inside. If anyone has an absolute junk mask with broken lenses I would be willing to experiment on it to see what can and cannot be done before anyone attempts something on a reasonable looking, stiff mask.

Mike

Another thing to consider is this, the mask is covered in poplin; coating it with anything will only stain it or give it a greasy look and feel. At that point it could damage the carrier or a uniform from staining.

RC