Need Help! WWII Merchant Marine Colonel Medal Grouping?

Red Ball Express

Red Ball Express

Hey guys, well my friend just inherited this grouping off of his recently deceased Grandpa. His name is Harry R. Moore. From what I can see it looks to be a merchant marine grouping. Could you guys help me on some of these ribbon bars, as I have absolutely no clue when it comes to this type of navy regalia. He rose up to the ranks of colonel and was a personal guard for LBJ. Any help would be appreciated especially for the sword and the bar.

Thanks

Ryan

post-56651-0-15669400-1386561557.jpg

post-56651-0-87634200-1386561567.jpg

It looks to me like you have a US NAVY group to a former enlisted sailor who became an officer and earned a Legion Of Merit probably when he retired. He was a CAPTAIN in the US Navy as indicated by the Eagle rank insignia.

The medals on the bar are:

Navy Good Conduct Medal

Navy Expeditionary Medal

American Campaign

Asiatic Pacific Campaign.

From the ribbon bars he served in the USN from WWII through Vietnam.

He also had command of a ship at one time ( based on the Command at Sea badge - The big gold star badge )

The sword is a US Naval officers sword.

Kurt

Google is your friend:
Captain Harry R. Moore, (USN Ret.), Bedford
Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 12:00 am

Captain Harry Russell Moore, (USN Ret.) of Bedford, died Thursday, Nov. 8, 2007. He was born Dec. 28, 1921, at Spratt, Ohio son of the late Harry A. Moore and Blanche Edith Blackstone Moore.

After graduation from Chandlersville High School, he attended Ohio State University prior to enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1942. On Jan. 12, 1945, Russell Moore married the love of his life, Marcella Virginia Williams, who preceded him in death in June 2001. He was commissioned July 9, 1945.

Russell Moore served in the Navy from 1942 to 1972 making Captain in 1967. His combat service was in the south Pacific during WWII and in Vietnam in 1969. He first served aboard the USS SC-640 in the south Pacific at Guadal Canal. Upon being commissioned, he was sent to the Pentagon to help prepare for the invasion of Japan. After WWII, he served on the USS Hawk and USS Tanager. He later served as Commanding Officer of the Mine Warfare School at Yorktown.

During his service, Russell Moore was awarded the Navy Expeditionary Medal (Cuba), American Theatre Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Theatre with two stars, World War II Victory Medal, Navy Occupation Medal, China Service Medal, National Defense with one star, Vietnam Service with one star and the Legion of Merit.

In 1954, Russell Moore authored "A Navigation Compendium" which is devoted to the science of marine navigation and was used at the Navy Officers Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island.

In 1967, Captain Moore served time as Air Attach?t the embassy in Karachi, Pakistan, after which he was assigned as Commodore of a flotilla of destroyers, the USS Ability, USS Salute, USS Noble and USS Rival. His last assignment was Professor and Commanding Officer of the Naval Reserve Training Corp of Holy Cross College in Massachusetts, retiring in 1972.

Upon retirement from the Navy, Captain Moore decided to become a lawyer, achieving his Bachelor of Law, Associates Bachelor, AM, and Doctorate Degree of Law, admitted to the Bar in Virginia, serving in the US District Court (WE) Virginia, US Court of Appeals (4th Court.) He opened his private practice of law in Virginia in 1977, retiring from Law in 2001, allowing himself more time to devote to his hobby as a beekeeper.

The family would like to express their gratitude to William W. Berry, IV and his staff for their exceptional care and personal attention. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brother, Robert Moore.

Captain Harry Russell Moore is survived by two brothers, Kenneth Moore of McConnelsville, OH and Duane Moore of Zanesville, OH; three sisters, Elsie Cronin of Northbrook, IL, Wanda Founds of Chandlersville, OH, and Sharon Krause of Zanesville, OH; and his stepmother, Eva Mae Moore of Zanesville, OH.

Grave Side Services with full military rites will be conducted at 3 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2007, at Arlington National Cemetery with his wife, Marcella Moore.

Funeral arrangements are being made by Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Bedford, VA,

Nice catch Tom! I googled his name, but abbreviated Captain to "Capt" and didnt pick up the obit.. This is a good lesson on using lots of options and spellings when using google.

Kurt