Help with ID on WWI Women's Service Group

Martin B

Can anyone id what service group these women belong to? Any and all help appreciated and thank you in advance for your assistance.

post-425-0-95467200-1386555505.jpg

world war I nerd

The fact that all of the females are wearing white points towards them having something to do with either medical, dental or even food service.

The type of smock they're wearing looks more like a nurses smock to me. Because of that, I'd put my money on the photo being taken outside at a base, evacuation or convalescent hospital somewhere in France or England.

Keep in mind that the Doughboys pictured could have been sent to a British or French hospital instead of one operated by the A.E.F. Therefore the get up the women are wearing could be what passed for a nurses outfit in the French or British Armies.

Interesting photo none the less.

world war I nerd

After taking a closer look, I noticed the brassard worn by the woman sitting next to the Doughboy in the center. I'm not saying it is, but it kind of looks like the letter 'A' which was the symbol for the 1st Army. Could it be some kind of 1st Army Brassard???

post-5143-0-14501900-1386656026.jpg

Did you notice the girl wearing the brassard has no left hand??

Bluejacket

I think her hand is in a pocket on the jacket. If you look close, it looks like there is a hump in the jacket as if a hand is in her pocket.

...Kat

Note soldier left is wearing a greatcoat, it's very cold. Woman's left hand is probably in her sleeve, MAY not be missing. However, it sure looks like it is gone.

I agree, the women are probably French or Belgian.

W

Hey gang- my two cents says Belgian - the tassle on the front of the caps is the give away! Steve McG

I don't see the tassle on the cap. I am not saying you are not correct. I am just curious what you are seeing that could be a tassle.

...Kat