OLCs on Air Medal

ReverendJake

I just picked up a nice vietnam era custom set id'd to a West Point grad with an air medal ribbon with two silver and four bronze OLCs. I know the army stopped using OLCs during Vietnam. My question is when exactly was this?

post-104618-0-48792600-1386531668.jpg

The bronze clusters are for 1 additional award. The silver clusters signify 5 awards. So if Im counting correctly, that would be 15 air medals. I can't comment on the regulations during Vietnam. But I do think that is when they started to transition to using numerals, instead of the OLC's.

Josh A.

Oak leaf clusters were initially used to denote subsequent awards of the Air Medal. The number of additional awards were so great that the oak leaf clusters did not fit on the ribbon. As a result, the policy was changed in September 1968 to require the use of numbers to indicate subsequent awards of the Air Medal.

http://veteranmedals.army.mil/awardg&d.nsf/374fbd6468877ab385256b6600590a90/f899b90af9284b6785256b660063cfbd!OpenDocument

I know that the Vietnam Gallantry Cross was authorized for U.S. wear at some point in 1968. Being that this has a Vietnam Gallantry Cross in addition to OLCs on the Air Medal do you think that if it wasn't made in the short period that both were authorized would you say that it is more likely earlier or later?

I just picked up a nice vietnam era custom set id'd to a West Point grad with an air medal ribbon with two silver and four bronze OLCs. I know the army stopped using OLCs during Vietnam. My question is when exactly was this? attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not sure of the date, but returning stateside with my 24 awards of the AM I displayed the V and used OLC for the 24. When I returned again in 1971 I had my V's and the numerals 45.

Roger

A good friend of mine served in Vietnam and remained in the Army until the 1980s as a Colonel. An official photo I have of him from I believe the late 70s still has him wearing an OLC on his Air Medal. He may have gotten away with this because he had one OLC as opposed to Roger's above, but I wanted to throw it out there that even though the regulation was published, everyone didn't run out and switch their racks.

Kyle

Here's a photo of the back. What do you think the country of origin is? My guess is Taiwan or Japan based on the quality and the backing.

post-104618-0-05505300-1386622923.jpg