Double war trophy Dutch Luger

green hell

This Dutch Luger was taken from a Japanese officer by a Marine Raider on 'the Long Patrol' on Guadalcanal. I would have to assume that the Japanese officer captured it when they took Jakarta, Dutch East Indies. The holster has Kanji on it which says "230 North 7" (I have no idea what the North 7 refers to. If anybody knows, please tell me). The brass plate on the frame of the Luger names the Dutch unit to which it was originally issued. Carlson's Raiders hunted down and exterminated the 230th regiment of the 2nd Division (Sendai Div.) during the Long Patrol. At the end of the patrol, the Raiders posed for photos for Life Magazine and were filmed by the Pathe newsreel folks (they made the brief newsreels that were shown in movie theaters before the movie started) displaying their trophies. This Luger is being shown off in those photos by the Raider who took it. It's part of a large group which belonged to one of the official photographers for the Raiders named Wright. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it. Now that I've figured out how to post photos, I'll try to post some of my other rare WWII Marine artifacts - Chris

post-133053-0-90193600-1386467179.jpeg

post-133053-0-86966800-1386467332.jpeg

post-133053-0-63934100-1386467363.jpeg

post-133053-0-99229100-1386467474.jpeg

Chris, you have an absolutely gorgeous Dutch luger with an incredible history! I love the Dutch lugers. If I may please, I'd like to take it a step further. Attached is a photo of my Dutch luger in its jungle made shoulder holster. This luger was captured by US forces in Dind Tuong Province, Vietnam in 1970! Most likely, as yours was, it was captured by Japanese forces in the Dutch East Indies. This one was taken by the capturing Japanese soldier to Indochina, where it was probably again captured by Viet Minh forces. Tt shows the effects of years in the jungle. Thanks for the thread and I look forward to seeing more of your Raiders items.

post-56764-0-46195900-1386483755.jpg

That is very very very very very cool being a Dutchman.

I would love to see a larger version of the group photo.

Can you post it by itself ?

And you have to post the rest of this grouping. PLEASE

You know, it's interesting that that second Luger could live through WWII, the Viet Minh, and VIetnam, and still be in better shape than the one I was able to afford that still needed a couple hundred dollars worth of parts! Nice pieces.

This Dutch Luger was taken from a Japanese officer by a Marine Raider on 'the Long Patrol' on Guadalcanal. I would have to assume that the Japanese officer captured it when they took Jakarta, Dutch East Indies. The holster has Kanji on it which says "230 North 7" (I have no idea what the North 7 refers to. If anybody knows, please tell me). The brass plate on the frame of the Luger names the Dutch unit to which it was originally issued. Carlson's Raiders hunted down and exterminated the 230th regiment of the 2nd Division (Sendai Div.) during the Long Patrol. At the end of the patrol, the Raiders posed for photos for Life Magazine and were filmed by the Pathe newsreel folks (they made the brief newsreels that were shown in movie theaters before the movie started) displaying their trophies. This Luger is being shown off in those photos by the Raider who took it. It's part of a large group which belonged to one of the official photographers for the Raiders named Wright. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it. Now that I've figured out how to post photos, I'll try to post some of my other rare WWII Marine artifacts - Chris

Very interesting! I would love to see some bigger pics though :)

Great pistol with very interesting history!!

Here is a link to a website with some information on the Dutch Luger http://www.landofborchardt.com/1928dei_luger.html

There are also some antiquarian books on the Dutch Luger.

Many officers in the Dutch East Indies carried a Luger until the capitulation to the Japs. My grandfather who was an officer in the KNIL had one as well.

The brass unit plates are common on weapons from the KNIL and the Dutch East Indies police forces. You can also find them on klewangs. They were not used consistently however.

I have no information on the Kanji text, but I will try if I can find something.