OK, What is This? Some Sort of Field Phone?

pzjgr

Picked this up today at a show from a guy I know....he said its missing the crank...

I will check through some other references tonight, but figured I would post too...

it is 9.5" high, 6" wide, 5" deep. No markings on the outside other than what is in pics...still trying to figure out how to open it, there may be more inside...

I am guessing its military from the paint job and such...

Any ideas??? Commo gear isn't really my thing...

post-2803-0-60841400-1386457907.jpg

Side, with microphone (?)...

The other side has a hole, with a post that looks to be where you attach I am assuming the crank...I assume the round thing attached with the cord is the mouthpiece, and you hear through the speaker???

post-2803-0-37163900-1386458079.jpg

I'm thinking this is civilian for telephone work, lineman's test equipment.

Poop....oh well, ya gots to roll the dice sometimes...roll 'em and I come up with a rimless Eagle Snap canteen cover...and a civi linemans phone thingy, so still a great show weekend.

Like I said, the paint job sold me...still interested if I can find any other data plates inside...once I figure out how it opens...

Thanks for the opinion though!

Well, after a bit more looking, maybe, maybe not...

This site... http://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/army/army-us/us-test-sets.html

Has this listing....

Western Electric Co. No.1017E

Test Set

Line repairman' s telephone. Talking and listening. Also signalling to all switchboards and telephones. 20-cycle hand generator and buzzer. Will operate a 56A drop through 11,500 ohms. Consists of W.E.Co. 17E Test Set with transmitter and receiver. Requires 1 Batt. BA-27.

And generally, when searching, the few pics I can find of the No. 17 Test Set, seem to be unpainted....so possibly the green painted set was military? Can't say for sure for now, but I'll do some more research...there is on on ebay with an unpainted case, with the front opened, so there must be a way to open it!