Jump to content

Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1


Recommended Posts

Emerging from a Vail of Red Smoke, troops of the 45th Inf Div during training at Ft Sill OK late-sh 1967. Thunderbirds Decaled liners all around, as are M1 Rifles typical of the National Guard then.

45.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd shared all these in FB groups, but figured might as well post them here too. the liner is my favorite piece to the helmet

DSC05074.JPG

DSC05364.JPG

DSC04834.JPG

DSC04576.JPG

DSC04382.JPG

DSC04259.JPG

123371101_4482277865179622_1097941553912887572_o.jpg

DSC04024.JPG

DSC04431.JPG

DSC04433.JPG

DSC04500.JPG

DSC04501.JPG

DSC04506.JPG

DSC04443.JPG

DSC05235.JPG

DSC04541.JPG

DSC04544.JPG

DSC04328.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, patches said:

Marines right?

image.png

i'm pretty sure given the color of the chevrons anyways 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shadawg said:

i'm pretty sure given the color of the chevrons anyways 

Korea era perhaps? USMC Reserve component?, though the USMC were not in the habit of doing their liners up in this manner, not like the Army, which would make this unique, I wonder what unit or base.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, patches said:

Korea era perhaps? USMC Reserve component?, though the USMC were not in the habit of doing their liners up in this manner, not like the Army, which would make this unique, I wonder what unit or base.

i'd agree with that. liner is a late westinghouse with 1945 dated headband, so late 40's early 50's i'd figure. it would be interesting to see others done up like this, but maybe the owner just had an artistic eye, and wanted something special. I know other speculation was a bit more "merry" if you know what i mean

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shadawg said:

i'd agree with that. liner is a late westinghouse with 1945 dated headband, so late 40's early 50's i'd figure. it would be interesting to see others done up like this, but maybe the owner just had an artistic eye, and wanted something special. I know other speculation was a bit more "merry" if you know what i mean

1052388054_emoticonsmile.png.8bbbcea3215d4818deb6a4537b25f8cf.png

21603.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
mysteriousoozlefinch

AKdBlxz.jpg

355th Engineer Battalion (Camo) DI on a liner worn by Lt. Col. Hawkins H. Menefee.

Source: The Portal for Texas History

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I never did figure it out patches.    It was a very clean, named,  lightly used, mid-war liner with green hardware found in Hawaii.  My guess is it was not issued until well after the war when the dark green/black repaint, decals and markings were applied.   A pic of the opposite side...

2038258320_liner4.JPG.164c7acb3653bbe22d40d31cc4ac9433.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GMPETE said:

I never did figure it out patches.    It was a very clean, named,  lightly used, mid-war liner with green hardware found in Hawaii.  My guess is it was not issued until well after the war when the dark green/black repaint, decals and markings were applied.   A pic of the opposite side...

2038258320_liner4.JPG.164c7acb3653bbe22d40d31cc4ac9433.JPG

This number we can say stands for B Company 1st Battalion 298th Infantry. And will date sometime in the 1950s when the 298th Infantry is reactivated after WWII in 1946 as a Regimental Combat Team, regiment broken up though in late 1956 early 1957 into a few Anti Aircraft units.

 

That patch decal is for the Headquarters Hawaii National Guard  adopted 14 March 1949, the 298th RCT is on the books with a shoulder patch all it's own, but they don't seem to have worn it, just this Headquarters Hawaii National Guard one.

 

 

This patch here, its one that is heavly REPROed rare as it is.

 

inldeo.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, patches said:

This number we can say stands for B Company 1st Battalion 298th Infantry. And will date sometime in the 1950s when the 298th Infantry is reactivated after WWII in 1946 as a Regimental Combat Team, regiment broken up though in late 1956 early 1957 into a few Anti Aircraft units.

 

That patch decal is for the Headquarters Hawaii National Guard  adopted 14 March 1949, the 298th RCT is on the books with a shoulder patch all it's own, but they don't seem to have worn it, just this Headquarters Hawaii National Guard one.

 

 

This patch here, its one that is heavly REPROed rare as it is.

 

inldeo.jpg

Great info patches.  I recognized the Kamehameha decal as National Guard but was unaware it was never a patch, and hadn’t seen the headquarters patch you show.  Thanks for the regimental ID.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2017 at 1:32 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

299th Regimental Combat Team - Hawaii National Guard (reconstituted)

 

15 October 1954 - 15 February 1959.

299th RCT Helmet Shell 001.jpg

299th RCT Helmet Shell 002.jpg

299th RCT Helmet Shell 006.jpg

299th RCT Helmet Shell 007.jpg

 

Here's my 299th RCT liner, Hawaii National Guard circa 1954-1959 which has both the 299th DUI & RCT decals (shown in detail on page 18 of this topic)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GMPETE said:

A couple I used to own...

 

liner1.JPG.a9d2e633961832c474bc3cc3ecace18d.JPG

 

The "Right Face" Kamehameha Decal on the liner you posted above is exactly what you would expect to see on a HNG RCT HQ  liner between 1954 & 1959.  It fits in well with Colonel Hee's (198th RCT Hawaii National Guard) helmet liner with the right-face Kamehameha decal which I've shown before (below, more details on page 18 of this topic). His liner also has no decal on the left side.  The insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Hawaii National Guard on 14 March 1949.  After this period, the Kamehameha patch and decal was flipped to face left.  Finding an original right face Kamehameha decal/patch is rare indeed.

 

Liner 002.jpg

 

Liner 007.jpg

 

Liner 011.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 3:13 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

 

The "Right Face" Kamehameha Decal on the liner you posted above is exactly what you would expect to see on a HNG RCT HQ  liner between 1954 & 1959.  It fits in well with Colonel Hee's (198th RCT Hawaii National Guard) helmet liner with the right-face Kamehameha decal which I've shown before (below, more details on page 18 of this topic). His liner also has no decal on the left side.  The insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Hawaii National Guard on 14 March 1949.  After this period, the Kamehameha patch and decal was flipped to face left.  Finding an original right face Kamehameha decal/patch is rare indeed.

 

Liner 002.jpg

 

Liner 007.jpg

 

Liner 011.jpg

 

 

Thanks for the additional information.  Seeing your liner in this thread is what prompted me to post mine.   I am sorry I did not see it before I let it go as I guess it would have completed your set.  Do you have any thoughts about the 'U P' on the front?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.