Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1

Pretty common and original set up by the original wearer. You should strongly consider putting it back to the way this found it.

Good advice…. But I moved it because it seemed like it was putting undue strain on the webbing and I am hoping to stop the deterioration somewhat. I can always be moved back.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool Pictures!!! That wearing of the helmet liners must have been a 50's 60's thing ???

I was in the Guard infantry for 16-16 years and we never ever ever wore the liners without the pots.

Never.

Well it's not an actual helmet! Going further off, here's a mass of 103rd RCT (Maine) helmets with marked liners from the Maine NG Historian.

qumyniz.jpg

mGK0wYy.jpg

I picked up these 2 liners today and a schlueter front seam swivel for fairly cheap.

Seller said they were all Vietnam era… The armored stickers might be faked on ? I don't know.. No close ups pf that one.. But the med sticker looks legit. But for 2 old liners and a front seam schlueter.. Im happy.

post-181333-0-97252400-1557348007_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-54286800-1557348026_thumb.jpg

Nice ones the II Corps and the Medical Corps one, the one is a WWII liner with a more late 50s 60s sweatband. Do know how to read the nomenclature stamps on your liners in your collection? Knowing how to read these will date when liners were worn.

Nice ones the II Corps and the Medical Corps one, the one is a WWII liner with a more late 50s 60s sweatband. Do know how to read the nomenclature stamps on your liners in your collection? Knowing how to read these will date when liners were worn.

No Sir, I know the brand names.... But no idea of the nomenclatures... numbers or dates etc etc...

No Sir, I know the brand names.... But no idea of the nomenclatures... numbers or dates etc etc...

These stamps will be found on the sweatbands and on the nape straps for 1950s early 60s made stuff (WWII not so much, only on late war nape straps, on the 1965 made and after, on the suspension themselves as well as the sweatbands and nape straps.

In example, the liner on the left is a WWII made one, but it has a mid 50s on OD web sweatband, that's common, older stuff used with never made parts, if you look you see this sweatband had stamping on it, that's the nomenclature stamp, it has a code that normally includes the date of it, the last two digits of the year.

These stamps will be found on the sweatbands and on the nape straps for 1950s early 60s made stuff (WWII not so much, only on late war nape straps, on the 1965 made and after, on the suspension themselves as well as the sweatbands and nape straps.

In example, the liner on the left is a WWII made one, but it has a mid 50s on OD web sweatband, that's common, older stuff used with never made parts, if you look you see this sweatband had stamping on it, that's the nomenclature stamp, it has a code that normally includes the date of it, the last two digits of the year.

Awesome! Thank you Patches! I have one thats real easy as its a micarta and has the date stamped in it. 1952 I think.

Helmets are proving to be as addicting as wings!!! lol

Awesome! Thank you Patches! I have one thats real easy as its a micarta and has the date stamped in it. 1952 I think.

Helmets are proving to be as addicting as wings!!! lol

That's one way of roughly dating the liner shell, those ones from the 50s-60s that have the date in the inside dome. A clear way way to roughly date the liner when actually worn is looking at the sweatbands and nape straps, provided that they were not put together to represent the period, which is a somewhat common thing done, but not to much of a big deal at the end of the day, as in example say a decaled liner that's missing it's sweatband a nape strap, a collector will get a real sweatband and nape strap, dated to the approximate time the liner would of been worn see, and of course if these stamps are still readable, sometimes the are not do do wear and fading etc etc.

I got the lids today. The helmet decals look too new to be period applied. And whats the chance of having two NCO Liners with the exact

same unit decals.....? I'd feel kinda burned but the liners are good even if the decals maybe not period applied.. I dont know..

The outsides look too fresh. But good liners anyway. And the helmet is a front seam Schluter. So all in all not bad.

I would think the decas would have wear and tear on them? But being medical... Maybe not? They look bright and fresh. No scuffs etc But the webbing is def used and the sweat bands are both attached at the nape. The one with the strap... The strap has been in place a long time as it has some leather redisdue stuck to the lid where the strap rests.

I got the lids today. The helmet decals look too new to be period applied. And whats the chance of having two NCO Liners with the exact

same unit decals.....? I'd feel kinda burned but the liners are good even if the decals maybe not period applied.. I dont know..

The outsides look too fresh. But good liners anyway. And the helmet is a front seam Schluter. So all in all not bad.

I would think the decas would have wear and tear on them? But being medical... Maybe not? They look bright and fresh. No scuffs etc But the webbing is def used and the sweat bands are both attached at the nape. The one with the strap... The strap has been in place a long time as it has some leather redisdue stuck to the lid where the strap rests.

Which two are the same, one is the II Corps Staff Sergeant, the other a Sergeant Major with a Generic Medical Corps Branch Decal? In the mean time post these, and try to read dates in the sweatbands.

Both liners are marked with the same 2nd corps and same medical corps decals.

Oh didn't know that, Well I don't know they seem ok so far,, the WWII one's suspension is used with a newer sweatband, but that would be nothing out of the ordinary as WWII liners were used for years and years after WWII ended and will be seen with parts from the 50s-60s. lets see the stamping on that sweatband, hoping it's a late 50s 60s one, if not, and it's a 70s one, then no not original to the period, if a 70s one who knows, put in to give it a sweatband by a store or whatever.

Are you located in the Northeast area, in the 60s II Corps commanded and controlled Reserve units in New York City, New Jersey, maybe as far north as upstate New York and New England (with these latter, maybe under First Army).

• 2 months later...

Grabbed a twofer scan of marked liners from that big fat book, the seminal 1966 book by Gene Gurney The United States Army...A Pictorial History, from the the then current, Army Firepower and Mobility chapter.

The Ballistic Missile Agency liner decal, circa 1959, seen from the right side of the liner, missile pointed forward, GI there is testing the ENTAC.

post-34986-0-83611100-1563841588_thumb.jpg

The patch as seen worn on the shoulder by Major General John Medaris (photo from member vostoktrading).

post-7885-0-36110400-1383327224.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...