Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1

Bugme

In light of your avatar, I'm not surprised you like it heftaao1 ^_^

It's all original except for the nape strap which I just picked up from 37th guy, but it matches very well. You can't really tell, but there is a field repair to the webbing. Notice the top rivet on the rear (outside) and the lack of A washer inside.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-0-13542600-1449391986.jpg

Hi Scott, a long and worthy topic running since 2008, thought I should finally add one of my liners today, I bought this quite a few years ago from someone that wanted a plain unmarked helmet so he sanded off the oak leaf on the front, two side decals and a rear vertical stripe, sadly never found out what he had removed from the sides. Thankfully as the liner is covered in material he was unable to sand that one off as well.

I would like to say at this point that although the topic is very interesting I didn't take the time to look at any of the many links to off site photos, many of which no longer exist so it's time consuming and frustrating at the same time. Please-please post photos direct to the site, in that way they should be here permanently.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 6 2015.

Question: I was recently given what I believe is a 50s era liner decal. Its the 28th "Keystone" Division patch superimposed upon which are Sergeant's stripes. Would these have been applied to the liner one on each side or just a single at the front...or maybe either/or? ( Sorry...no pic at the moment, but I'm sure you catch my drift?) Thanks.

PS. I just visited the previous page and found some other 28th ID decaled liners...bigger than mine, but partly answered my question!

I found this well-used early 70s MP marked liner among a bunch of other old liners. It was cheap, so I bought it. It was once an airborne liner but it's "A" straps have been cut off...a not uncommon practice.

post-8022-0-67386900-1449407791.jpg

post-8022-0-75423100-1449407807.jpg

post-8022-0-14208500-1449407819.jpg

General Apathy

I found this well-used early 70s MP marked liner among a bunch of other old liners. It was cheap, so I bought it. It was once an airborne liner but it's "A" straps have been cut off...a not uncommon practice.

Hi Ian, pity and as you say not an uncommon practice to see the straps chopped, nice markings on the shell though. ;)

lewis .

• 4 weeks later...

post-34986-0-37688800-1451618789.gif

A liner of the 1950s era 101st Training Division, Oops I mean the 101st Airborne Division :D.

The soldier is one Dorris A. Ivey sometime in 1955. By the lack of insignia other than his discs and name tag, plus the Aiguillette, we can safely assume he was a member of an Honor Guard. Cadre in this division seems to have the Screaming Eagle on the sides rather than here on the front.

And on the serious note.

Ivey stayed in the Army, and was by 1965 a Staff Sergeant and a MACV Advisor in Mortars, he was KIA January 1966.

http://www.virtualwall.org/di/IveyDA01a.htm