Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1

Bugme

here's my 44th Division CAPAC 51/52 . Does anyone know what the other red/yellow marking is? Also, wasn't the 44th deactivated after WW2? Why would their unit decal be on a later issue liner?

This is the insignia for the 106th Cavalry. It was an Illinois NG unit. After WWII, Illinois became a two-division state. The 33rd Infantry Division, headquartered in Chicago, and the 44th Infantry Division, initially headquartered in Waukegan.

Stephan

Here is a late-war Westinghouse 6th Army Captains liner named to George Pacal. Found him on NARA luckily enough.

post-1940-1210795743.jpg

Mid-war Westinghouse named to Del Hershey...also named inside with his service #. Also found this gent on NARA. Paint on outside of liner more than likely added post-war. I don't think his superiors would have liked the three star paint job too much.

post-1940-1210796607.jpg

Mid-war CAPAC rigger-type para liner. This one belonged to retired Col. Raymond H. Beaty. Really nice condition.

post-1940-1210797258.jpg

Mid-war CAPAC rigger-type para liner. This one belonged to retired Col. Raymond H. Beaty. Really nice condition.

Nice marked liner, but to be slightly picky (and hopefully not taking this thread off course), it's a post-war (late 40's/early 50's) factory modification to paratrooper standard of a Capac infantry M1 liner.

Cheers,

Glen.

Nice marked liner, but to be slightly picky (and hopefully not taking this thread off course), it's a post-war (late 40's/early 50's) factory modification to paratrooper standard of a Capac infantry M1 liner.

Cheers,

Glen.

Yep! I'm aware of that...thats why I said "rigger style" in the description. May not be the proper description but that is what I call the liners with the yokes and snaps added. The liner was in use in the early fifties when Mr. Beaty was Captain and CO of the 78th tank bn. I have other items from Mr. Beaty from his service in the early fifties. In the description of his service it says he jumped with the 11th airborne into the Philippines late in the war...and won a bronze star there. Too bad I couldn't get that liner.

THIS IS A FLEA MARKET FIND FROM THE COLMAR POCKET. STUPID HOW THE PREVIOUS OWNER REPAINTED THE HELMET - LEAVINIG THE INSIGNIA OUTLINED...

Try a product called "Goof-Off". Be careful around the 3rd ID insignia but, you should be able to get the post war paint off and down to the original finish. At the beginning of this thread I have a 29th liner shown that was worse than what you have, but when I was done it looked nearly pristine. Be patient when you do this, it may take an hour or two but the results are worth the time.

On interesting and related note, I've got a Chaplains uniform from the 63rd ID, 254th IR. The Chaplain, Captain Frank Rustmeyer, was attached to the 3rd ID during the Colmar Pocket action.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, this string inspired me to go back and look at the liner s I have buried under tinpots and came up with this jewel---Indiana Jones move over....

As you can see, it's a fairly common VN era (dated Mar 69) helmet liner---but I noticed some red color showing under the paint on each side, so using my fingernail, I started gently scraping away the paint and very soon the 82nd AB decal begain to emerge---I think I'll leave the other side covered--you can see its the same decal---so in case I ever trade or sell it, somebody else can get the same thrill of finding it like I did.

post-2235-1212261258.jpg

post-2235-1212261284.jpg

post-2235-1212261298.jpg

post-2235-1212261310.jpg

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

84th Infantry Division "Railsplitters" (Correction: 70th Division "Trailblazers")

Westinghouse CAPAC double stamped Korean War rebuilt liner

VN_Helmet_16.jpg

VN_Helmet_17.jpg

VN_Helmet_14.jpg

VN_Helmet_15.jpg

Salvage Sailor
That's the 70th Division. Fascinating history in WW2, Operation Nordwind etc.

T

DOH!

Yep, 70th Infantry Division (Hey, I'm a swabbie, I just think I know everything! )

bart.jpg

Here is one of mine ,

I was planing on stripping this down and repainting it , it is a very nice WWII shell , there is going to be a hole where the tag holder was put through on the front.

what vintage are the markings?

should I consider leaving it alone ?

post-3435-1215737906.jpg

if it were me i would leave it and if you wanted a plain liner i would shop round for one, since ive been on this site my attitude has changed alot, i wouldnt strip anything unless its a really bad post war reissue reissue reissue with paint runs

Combat Command B

48th Armored Infantry Battalion

Battalions inactivated 8-11 October 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts, Camp Shanks, New York, and Camp Kilmer, New Jersey; activated 24 November 1950 at Camp Roberts, California; inactivated 15 November 1953 at Camp Roberts California.

48th, 38th, and 23d Armored Infantry Battalions relieved 15 February 1957 from assignment to the 7th Armored Division and consolidated to the 48th Infantry, a parent regiment under Combat Arms Regimental System.

The helmet probably is from the 1950 - 1953 period.

I'd leave it as is as it has interesting markings.

Erwin

sgtbarnes44

Here are four of mine. Most of them have already been posted on that forum.

TRANSPORTATION CORPS CAPTAIN

post-647-1215783217.jpg

The "lowly" helmet liner? The liners seen on Ebay that are marked with unit shields and especially MP marked are getting top $$. Nice collection of liners. mine are boring.....

heres a WW2 westinghouse ive got, webbing is mint, structurally its mint but look what the previous owner did lol

post-1584-1215829970.jpg

slap a few hippy flowers on it and a VW sign and you have fillmore from cars lol, when its in a shell its out of site out of mind.