Marked Helmet Liners, The Unsung Hero Of The M-1

Bugme

An M-1 without a liner makes an incomplete M-1. We drool over the marked and ID'd steel pots but, what about the lowly liner, hidden from view just because the pot gets all the attention. So, I decided to pull my liners from under their steel boss and give them a little recognition. Feel free to show yours here too! First one up, 84th ID

post-1726-1210085278.jpg

Bob Hudson

I think a good liner is the true rare bird: I can find front seam fixed bail steel pots somewhat frequently at swap meets, estate and garage sales, but a period liner shows up about once every year or two and I have only ever found one or two that had the GI's initial and last four of serial number as marked in WWII and those did not have chin straps. i have found some post war liners with bits and pieces of markings/paint/decals on them. I've always wondered what was missing from this one, although it does display okay from the one side :) (anyone know what the blue stripe might be - I've thought it might be for some sort of training NCO)

bluehlem1.jpg

bluehelm2.jpg

Almost forgot about this one, T/5 marked Hawley. It's pretty hammered up but, it is legit!

Also, not mentioned earlier on the 29th ID liner that I posted is that I got this liner super cheap from a dealer because someone had painted it with a bright lime green metallic... it was ugly! The suspension was triple HBT khaki and in excellent condition so, I bought it with plans to refinish it. When I looked close, I could see the outline of a circle under the paint so, with about an hour of patient cleaning with "Goof-Off", I was able to get it to it's original OD and the original 29er insignia!

USMF_Posting_024.jpg

market garden
I think a good liner is the true rare bird: I can find front seam fixed bail steel pots somewhat frequently at swap meets, estate and garage sales, but a period liner shows up about once every year or two and I have only ever found one or two that had the GI's initial and last four of serial number as marked in WWII and those did not have chin straps. i have found some post war liners with bits and pieces of markings/paint/decals on them. I've always wondered what was missing from this one, although it does display okay from the one side :) (anyone know what the blue stripe might be - I've thought it might be for some sort of training NCO)

post-214-1210090622.jpg

post-214-1210090634.jpg

Looks like a "DRILL INSTRUCTOR" decal removed. Market Garden

post-214-1210090622.jpg

post-214-1210090634.jpg

Looks like this is the decal missing from yours...

post-1940-1210095383.jpg

wildcat123

Here are the marked liners that I have in my collection:

1. Hawley Marked to a C.E. Dunn

2. Firestone with Lt bar and Officer bar in back

3. Capac with some unknown Naval Markings (the pot is labeled GUN REPR)

4. Firestone liner marked to 2nd Lt Johnson

post-1095-1210115390.jpg

post-1095-1210115521.jpg

post-1095-1210115535.jpg

post-1095-1210115631.jpg

post-1095-1210115680.jpg

wildcat123

Oops, I missed one...

5. St Clair (early green interior) with Major insignia and remains of 42nd Division insignia

post-1095-1210115885.jpg

The Meatcan

here's my 44th Division CAPAC 51/52 . Does anyone know what the other red/yellow marking is? Also, wasn't the 44th deactivated after WW2? Why would their unit decal be on a later issue liner?

post-1208-1210722393.jpg

post-1208-1210722405.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I'm 99% sure that the red/yellow insignia on the left side of your liner is an armored cavalry reconaissance regiment, but I cannot recall which one. I re-created a tribute helmet for a customer's WW2 veteran father who was in that same unit.

Hi all,

I think I've show these before, but thought it appropriate to show some of my liners again;

Here is an MP helmet I found for silly money. No rivets or interior left, and some mouse damage on the side, but original none the less.

post-132-1210787904.jpg

detail of the marking.

the yellow mp markings are over a full repaint. the white MP markings are on the wartime spray job.

post-132-1210788030.jpg

Here is a nice inland helmet liner, marked with 1st LT rank at the front. You can just see the underlaying gold/yellow paint from when the owner was a 2nd LT. I also have the steel shell, wich is marked too.

post-132-1210788234.jpg

Stijn