Collings Foundation gets a P-40B Pearl Harbor Survivor

Garandomatic

I remember when they found this down a ravine in Hawaii. Still had a load of ammunition on it... it was pretty remarkable that it had gone unfound until the1980's.

• 1 month later...

Next time CF are in town I'll be sure to catch a flight, perhaps if they add a extra seat in it that is!

And if I have the cash! I have flown in their B-17 and B-24 to date.

When I flew in the B-24 I got to sit in the rear gunners position for quite along time and the B-17 followed just off the B-24 propwash.

What an outstanding ride and view that was...

Any warbird with the early/prewar insignia (white star red center) look cool to me.

So this P-40B is:

A. Warhawk

B. Tomahawk

C .Seahawk

D. Kittyhawk

This P-40 has been in the care of The Fighter Collection at Duxford, England for a number of years. They oversaw much of the restoration work. I've been right up close and personal with this plane and seen it fly on several occasions...it's immaculate! (actually utilizing parts from several salvaged P-40s) Now it's headed stateside again as a part of a deal. These old warbirds are valuable commodities, criss-crossing the globe between owners for large sums of money or as part exchanges. I'm glad it's gone to a good home!

Johnny Signor

I am Very glad she is coming to or already back in the US , especially one as rare as this type is , hope to see her at a local show soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My company has a link to the Collings foundation. I can go each year...but I would have to work the event and my company doesn't have anything to do with vintage aircraft at all.

Next time CF are in town I'll be sure to catch a flight, perhaps if they add a extra seat in it that is!

And if I have the cash! I have flown in their B-17 and B-24 to date.

When I flew in the B-24 I got to sit in the rear gunners position for quite along time and the B-17 followed just off the B-24 propwash.

What an outstanding ride and view that was...

Any warbird with the early/prewar insignia (white star red center) look cool to me.

So this P-40B is:

A. Warhawk

B. Tomahawk

C .Seahawk

D. Kittyhawk

Those names were RAF designations except for the 'Warhawk', which was a US name, and the Seahawk which was a different plane entirely, the Curtiss SC Seahawk Scout Seaplane.

But if we were speaking of RAF and Commonwealth usage, it would probably be a Tomahawk I, as the Tomahawk II was roughly the same as a P-40C. I say 'roughly' because Curtiss, uh, to put it delicately, cheaped out on several RAF contract bits of equipment such as using externally sealing fuel tanks instead of internally sealing units, to use up existing stock. So some amount of overlap existed.

The British military typically bestowed names upon your airplanes and tanks, as opposed to the American military numbering style like P-51...M4 etc, but usually with an American theme, such as Generals for your tanks...Sherman...Lee...Stuart etc., and Mustang, Hudson, Boston and Dakota etc., for your planes. Curiously, it's the British names which seem to have stuck in the popular vernacular.

The Brit names were very evocative. For example, who names a military ship better than the Brits?

I quite like "USS Bonne Homme Richard" myself! :D

The British military typically bestowed names upon your airplanes and tanks, as opposed to the American military numbering style like P-51...M4 etc, but usually with an American theme, such as Generals for your tanks...Sherman...Lee...Stuart etc., and Mustang, Hudson, Boston and Dakota etc., for your planes. Curiously, it's the British names which seem to have stuck in the popular vernacular.

Quite thoughtful of the Brits to name our tanks after American Civil War generals, I always thought!

Quite thoughtful of the Brits to name our tanks after American Civil War generals, I always thought!

Then you adopted the practice yourselves, post-war...Pershing...Patton...Abrams etc.

I quite like "USS Bonne Homme Richard" myself! :D

Ah, mais elle s'appelle premièrement: Le Duc de Duras, drawing on my ancient grasp of French

But can Bonne Homme Richard compare to Indefatigable? Repulse? Implacable? Warspite? Victory?

Ah, mais elle s'appelle premièrement: Le Duc de Duras, drawing on my ancient grasp of French

But can Bonne Homme Richard compare to Indefatigable? Repulse? Implacable? Warspite? Victory?

Howzabout this? "USS CONSTITUTION"

Good enough name with a record like hers!

I went aboard the USS Constitution in the Charlestown Naval Yard...fine vessel!

I was born in Boston. I'm from Boston and I have been on board the Constitution several times. I can tell you where she defeated the HMS Guerriere. I've merely noted that the Brits have a knack for names and I was complimeting a member from the UK on the fact. I feel we're starting down the path of argument so let's stop before it starts.

SNAFU - the Fighter Collections P47 has also gone Stateside. Rumours abound what will be taking its place at Legends this year. The Mosquito was a front runner. We can all hope.

Rich

OH man, no venom here, I totally meant every bit of that to be light-hearted. I agree with everything you said about the names the Brits give their ships. Just one of those "hard to convey inflection via typing" deals. Go easy on me, fellas, didn't mean anything serious by any of it!

vostoktrading

The Brit names were very evocative. For example, who names a military ship better than the Brits?

It didn't always work out too well... Maybe back in the day this was a good name for a ship but I sure wouldn't want to be a sailor on shore leave wearing a cap with the tally "HMS Cockchafer" on it...

Yes, there really was a ship with that name. Here's a picture.

post-7885-0-61087900-1390789594.jpg