December 7th, 1941

RustyCanteen

The photos speak for themselves, where needed I have added commentery/captions to relate additional information.

For those unfamiliar with the harbor as it appeared prior to the attack:

g182874.jpg

In the center of the photo is Ford Island, a former Army airfield which had been transferred to the Navy. On the left side of the island is the mooring berths known forever as 'battleship row'.

At the top of the photo is the harbor entrance, protected by anti-submarine nets. USS Ward, DD-139 was patrolling the mouth just outside the harbor that fateful morning when it was alerted to the presence of an unidentified submarine operating within the security zone. Ward's CO, Captain Outerbridge brought the ship in position where her gunner scored a clean shot which sank the mystery submarine. This was over an hour before the attack began, but the report was not acted on.

h97446.jpg

Ward's Gun crew which made the shot (posed post attack).

g279385.jpg

An overhead view of Ford Island taken less than a month prior to the attack. The top of the photo shows the 'battleship row' moorings while the bottom shows the mooring quays used by Raleigh, Tangier, Utah.

USS Utah, AG-16. Former battleship converted into aerial gunnery training ship. Moored on north side of Ford Island NAS. The ship was topedoed by a Japanese plane who reportedly mistook it for an aircraft carrier due to the heavy wooden planks stored on the deck.

g266626.jpg

The ship capsized trapping men below her decks. 64 men were killed.

h64498.jpg

The overturned hull.

Nearby, a bomb narrowly misses the seaplane tender Tangier:

h96658.jpg

Battleship row, as seen by the attacking planes.

h50931.jpg

The ships from left to right: Nevada, Arizona with Vestal alongside, West Virginia and Tennessee, Oklahoma (with severe list) and Maryland, oiler Neosho, and California.

Another view, you can see the effect of the torpedo hits in the water.

h50472.jpg

The USS Arizona BB-39, moored just ahead of USS Nevada (BB-36) and with USS Vestal, a repair ship, alongside.

1,147 men were killed either in the inital explosion or resulting fires/sinking.

g06683.jpg

k13513.jpg

k13512.jpg

The California was counterflooded to prevent capsizing, but had to be abandoned due to the raging fires from the burning oil on the water.

h97399.jpg

You can see the fires to the right of the ship.

West Virginia was torpedoed. (Seen with Tennessee shortly after the attack)

h94379.jpg

ac05904.jpg

The Oklahoma soon capsized from multiple torpedoe hits, trapping men inside. Casualties on the Oklahoma number over 400.

Maryland with the upturned hull of Oklahoma to the right.

g19949.jpg

The destroyer Shaw was in a floating drydock and took a direct hit which set off the forward magazine destroying the bow.

h86118.jpg

Seen from Ford Island.

g19948.jpg

Nevada during sortie attempt, bomb damage and flooding led to the beaching of Nevada.

h97397.jpg

Pennsylvania was in drydock, along with destroyers Cassin and Downes.

g32580.jpg

g19943.jpg

Views of the aftermath:

g19944.jpg

g32492.jpg

g32497.jpg

g32836.jpg

g32704.jpg

g474789.jpg

h97433.jpg

View of the channel south of Ford Island showing the oil in the water, this was on December 10th.

h97434.jpg

The charred remains of the USS Arizona.

h97379.jpg

h97383.jpg

h63918.jpg

h83993.jpg

The rallying cry:

h72273k.jpg

And the memorial listing the names of those killed aboard the Arizona.

u067058.jpg

u036055.jpg

Amazing thread! I have never seen the picture with all of the oil in the water. Seeing the timeline with the devastation to the area is a reminder of the many lives lost on that day. So many future generations were lost in the blink of an eye.

....Kat

Of the two ships still present at PH, the Utah was built and launched 104 years ago, and the USS Arizona was laid down 100 years ago next March.

RC

Thank you so very much for this posting today. The attack happened many years ago but I'm a bit agitated just looking at the pictures. The world certainly changed that day.

There aren't many photos of the Oklahoma until after it capsized, but in this photo of the Arizona you can see the mainmast of Oklahoma as it is capsizing.

I don't understand why a thread showing an item from Pearl Harbor gets response after response.

And a great thread like this that shows the devastation and history of that fateful day gets only three responses.

Are people more interested in the item than the history?

my wife's late father was an army pearl harbor survivor, and spent much of the war island hopping. when congress authorized medallions for pearl harbor survivors, he left his to me, as i'm a vet. he was a great guy, and got to enjoy a lot of years after the war. RIP w.a.hamm, you earned it.

<y uncle, Hubert James Hesson was at Pearl harbor. Dec 7 1941 was his 21st birthday. He was serving aboard USS Sunnadin (AT-28) as Ships Cook Third Class (SC3/c). His ship got underway (it was diesel) and cruised through the harbor picking Sailors and Marines out of the water. He survived the war and remained in the Navy until his retirement in 1960 as Chief Commissary Steward (CSC). He passed in 2004.

Rusty,

What incredible photos many of which I had not previously seen.

Thank you for paying tribute to those brave men and women.

Auggie

doinworkinvans

Thanks RC - I have never seen many of these before. These men will never be forgotten. What a sad and tragic day in our history. Thank you for keeping it alive for all of us!