Post your miniature medals.

market garden

Hi Bill,

Great grouping! What's the medal all the way on the right? I've never see one before.

looks foreign, am I correct? or veteran?

tbirdismypride

Just a quick question I wanted to ask. I really don't know much at all about medals and know even less about the mini's. My question is this, How much would someone expect to pay for a mini? There is a antique store near where I live that has about 10 or 12 minis. Some I dont recognize but some like the LOM and Bronze Star I do recognize. All the medals are in great shape and not damaged in anyway that I can see. Thanks

• 5 months later...

this sold on eBay, didn't make it online in time to raise my snipe, unfortunately. missing gap is a PH, which the seller included to winner... obviously another row of medals is missing...and notice the EAME medal!

Capture.JPG

Hey, that one looks familiar. I figured I'd post my only other two mini-ribbon bars (the third one I have is the one above- Brig, I'll post it complete when it comes in- man I wish the Korean and Vietnam service medals were with it). The first bar(s) is not id'd.

Ken

post-99-1247715363.jpg

Hey, that one looks familiar. I figured I'd post my only other two mini-ribbon bars (the third one I have is the one above- Brig, I'll post it complete when it comes in- man I wish the Korean and Vietnam service medals were with it). The first bar(s) is not id'd.

Ken

be glad I didn't up the ante. glad it goes to a good home. if it ever needs a new one though *hint hint* haha ;)

Here's my minis. I'm in the process of resorting and mounting them. It had been some time before I retired that I last wore them and I've been retired for three years. I can't seem to find the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal at the moment and while I have the GWOT on my service dress I've never gotten the miniature medal for it; it's almost anti-climatic anyway. A device has come off here and there but that's what happened to them lying mostly in a little parts drawer for a couple years. Anyway, for getter or worse, here they are.

post-1107-1247861259.jpg

USMCRECON,

I see some Air Force awards (Air Force Commendation Medal and Combat Readiness Medal) on your mini rack. When did you serve in the AF and was it a short duration?

decwriter

USMCRECON,

I see some Air Force awards (Air Force Commendation Medal and Combat Readiness Medal) on your mini rack. When did you serve in the AF and was it a short duration?

decwriter

Actually, it's the other way around. I began my military career as a Marine and ended it as an Air Force officer.

After returning home from an extended combat tour in Vietnam, I was discharged in late 1968. Eleven years later, during which I finished my degree, I re-entered the service. I wanted to go back in the Marines as an officer but the Marines said I was too old to be commissioned. The Air Force, however, was waiving the age for OCS and I did that instead.

I retired with almost 30 years total service, much of it Air Force service. I also missed the camaraderie and esprit de corps I had enjoyed as a Marine. The old saying that "Once a Marine, always a Marine is not just an empty phrase and I always felt like a Marine in an Air Force uniform.

Not that I would ever disparage the time I spend as an officer in the Air Force. The Air Force was good to me over the years and I had some pretty interesting assignments, including flying with the 7th ACCS, duty in Grenada, the Gulf war, and Somalia, but none of it seemed quite as intense as the time I spent in the Marines and Vietnam with 1st Recon and, as I indicated above, the Air Force never had the same sense of tradition and esprit that I got in the Corps. I go to all of my Marine Recon reunions and never miss a Birthday celebration with Marine buddies.

if you need replacements I'd be happy to pick them up at the PX for you

Thanks for the offer, brig but I go to Quantico from time to time and have access to the exchange and clothing sales there. Putting my mini medal rack together just hasn't been a priority until now. I plan to attend the Commandant's Birthday Ball here in DC with fellow Marine Vietnam vet this year so I've just began reassembling them.

We attended the Commandant's Birthday Ball two years ago but that time I disassembled the racks and reassembled a set with only my Marine-issued minis. My buddy has been busting my chops ever since for not wearing all of my minis. This time I plan on appeasing him and wear all of them (assuming I have the time to put them all back together). They won't be anything fancy....certainly no custom mounting (cost would be prohibitive). I just plan to slid them onto standard mounting bars and call it good.

• 2 years later...

Very nice looking miniature Medals!

Here is a miniature bar which i found a couple of years ago.

Bronze Star Medal with one oak leaf and a "V"

Air Medal

Army commendation Medal with one oak leaf

I dont know how old the medals are and i miss the Campaign medals.

Greetings Stefan

post-54820-1320853712.jpg

Mini's in my collection...

No name just a number...

002-6.jpg

Also unnamed... too bad too... interesting rack!

003-5.jpg

a few more interesting ones... all unnamed...

006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-3.jpg