Post your miniature medals.

market garden

1 hour ago, 4STARCHRIS said:

Very nice Silver star mini set. Like the DSO and MBE as well.

4starchris

Thank you!  I have another similar caliber bar I’ll be posting in its own thread.  

Your RN miniature bar is beautiful.  It looks as though was made by Goldsmith and Silversmiths, based on the designs of the planchets, ribbon drape length and suspension fasteners. 

3 hours ago, 4STARCHRIS said:

Sorry for the delay in reply.

The British DSO George VI 1938-1948 .

1914-1915 Star, WWI

British War Medal, WWI

WWI Victory Medal

1939-1945 Star-Air Crew Germany Bar, WWII

Atlantic Star 1939-1945, WWII

Pacific Star 1941-1945, WWII

Defense Medal 1945, WWII

War Medal 1939-1945

King George V Silver Jubilee Medal

USA- Navy Cross, 1945

Only 19 WWII USA Navy Crosses were awarded. Only 3 to Australians. Only John Malet Armstrong also awarded a DSO.

The closet I was able to ID this set was John Malet Armstrong.

These are all original medals to the mount and the way I received them.

4starchris

I might be a bit confused, but I'm trying to understand what makes this an Australian bar. Can you enlighten me?

Dave,

I do not think/know it is an Australian bar. I just think John Malet Armstrong, an Australian was the closet person I could find. Home of heroes listed 29 brits in WWI as Navy Cross recipients and none of them matched or had WWI DSO's. I am still trying to confirm for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4starchris

38 minutes ago, 4STARCHRIS said:

Dave,

I do not think/know it is an Australian bar. I just think John Malet Armstrong, an Australian was the closet person I could find. Home of heroes listed 29 brits in WWI as Navy Cross recipients and none of them matched or had WWI DSO's. I am still trying to confirm for sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4starchris

Chris:

No worries. I cheated and read his bio. He would not have been entitled to the 1914 Star, or the Star with bar. Also, he was also not entitled to the Atlantic Star with France and Germany clasp...so I think it's not his bar. Back to the research drawing board. :(

Dave

10 minutes ago, Dave said:

Chris:

No worries. I cheated and read his bio. He would not have been entitled to the 1914 Star, or the Star with bar. Also, he was also not entitled to the Atlantic Star with France and Germany clasp...so I think it's not his bar. Back to the research drawing board. :(

Dave

Thank you for the test though. Thanks for looking

4starchris

It is interesting to research these sometimes.  

Many years ago I picked up a very impressive 4-5 row min bar set from a friend of the family of a colonel I believe.   Upon my cursory research, I could not confirm several of the medals on the bar and concluded that the seller was confused as to the original owner. 

After several more months of reading about his history, I was eventually able to confirm each and every award ... his complete record was nowhere to be found online at the time (many years ago).    Glad I didn't give up.... lol.

Today you could confirm in 30 seconds.  Times have changed for the better in that respect.

8 hours ago, 4STARCHRIS said:

Sorry for the delay in reply.

navy cross minis-uk frt.-all.JPG

The British DSO George VI 1938-1948 .

1914-1915 Star, WWI

British War Medal, WWI

WWI Victory Medal

1939-1945 Star-Air Crew Germany Bar, WWII

Atlantic Star 1939-1945, WWII

Pacific Star 1941-1945, WWII

Defense Medal 1945, WWII

War Medal 1939-1945

King George V Silver Jubilee Medal

USA- Navy Cross, 1945

Only 19 WWII USA Navy Crosses were awarded. Only 3 to Australians. Only John Malet Armstrong also awarded a DSO.

The closet I was able to ID this set was John Malet Armstrong.

These are all original medals to the mount and the way I received them.

4starchris

navy cross minis-dso rev.JPG

navy cross minis-uk-rev.JPG

I think that 4 or 5 Royal Navy Officers received the Navy Cross following the 1937 Panay incident.

• 3 months later...

Now that I'm retired, I had my minis and my full sized medals remounted. 

They aren't in the regulation style (should be four-four-four) but I don't like the way that looks. UltraThin, who has mounted all of my medals for ages, said they'd be happy to do them in whatever configuration I wanted since I was retired. So...two rows of six each. I'm really pleased with how they came out. 

mymedals.jpg

mymedals_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave said:

They aren't in the regulation style (should be four-four-four) but I don't like the way that looks. UltraThin, who has mounted all of my medals for ages, said they'd be happy to do them in whatever configuration I wanted since I was retired. So...two rows of six each. I'm really pleased with how they came out. 

Dave,

Looking good. I remember you mentioning doing them abnormally.

Does the Navy do the stars horizontally on medals? I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed

3 hours ago, Dave said:

mymedals.jpg

mymedals_1.jpg

Looks great, I’m not up on current regulations but I thought that the Navy  can you do six or seven wide?

34 minutes ago, Sweazy21 said:

Looks great, I’m not up on current regulations but I thought that the Navy  can you do six or seven wide?

No, it's max five wide, which is why the twelve would be 4-4-4...and I'm not a fan of that. :)

50 minutes ago, Brig said:

Dave,

Looking good. I remember you mentioning doing them abnormally.

Does the Navy do the stars horizontally on medals? I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed

Yes. Marines do vertical, Navy does horizontal. 

Here's what my "shadowbox" ended up looking like with the medals...might hang it in my cubicle at work. 🤣😁

Screenshot_70.jpg

aerialbridge

Ditto, Dave.    And YS would approve of the 6 x 2.   But he's also say you're too young to retire.  😉

• 1 month later...
Javelin4life

Swing mounted Spink & Son manufactured miniature bar attributed to Lt Gen Sir Alexander Hood MD, KCVO CBE FRCP FRCSE, RAMC, Director General of Army Medical Services from 1941-48 and Governor of Bermuda from 1949-55.  His LoM Commander was awarded for services rendered between 1942-45, being the essential reason why US troops had access to British medical supplies, staff, and facilities when they were initially short handed.  He also had a vital role in helping establish the US Army Medical Service. 

His story is quite detailed and I will make a separate post dedicated to this bar. 

498407E7-0C82-443A-AD51-0CFEA05C6A1B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
suwanneetrader

I'm restoring a USMC Dress Mess uniform  I need a rack of Miniature Medals (Modern Day Mfg OK)  See photo of ones Family Kept. Thanks Richard 

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010006.JPG

suwanneetrader

In my previous post #401 I said  "See photo of ones Family Kept. "  Guess you missed it   Ha Ha  I do that all the time.   No Problem  Richard