Help with this lapel button please

I am not sure about this lapel button. This new forum got me to pull out all of my buttons.

If this is not military, I apologize. Any help in identification would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Kat

P1010422.JPG

Kat,

Looks like a devotional piece for a sailor,Catholic. The cross is obvious.the Sacred Heart with thorns is the symbol of the Sacred Heart Society of the Catholic church. May be a veterans member pin.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks so much for your help! I wasn't aware of the Catholic side of the pin. It is very very small. It is amazing the detail in such small items.

...Kat

Bob,

I just did a google search on some Catholic lapel pins. It looks like some of the Catholic pins have all three: the cross, heart, and anchor. I wonder if this may be a religious pin and not a military pin. I am not Catholic so I am not sure. Could the anchor be part of the religious symbols and not for a sailor?

Thanks again, Kat

Hi Kat!

A nicely made device. I wish I had some info for you, but I've not seen its like before. It definitely looks like a Catholic inspired device (heart and thorns). It could be a religious order since the anchor could represent Christ.

On the other hand it could be a veteran piece too, USN, USCG or USMS, with whom the wearer had ties to the Catholic church. I remember having a little prayer book given to me back in the early 70's from the captain of a ship (who was Catholic) on which I worked, it was called "Prayers for Seafarers". Just like the old saying "on battlefield on you don't find any atheists", I never saw one during rough seas either, but during those times I did see his little book clutched in the hands of a lot of men! I'm not Catholic myself so I can't tell you with any authority what this lovely little piece is, but perhaps someone here might recognize it.

It's a beauty, excellent detail! Thank you for sharing it here.

Best wishes to you!

Joe