An Unusual Revolutionary War Flag

I learned a new term this morning: "exclusionary flag." Here are two more examples.

These have, in order, 15 and 19 stars.

15stars.jpg

19stars.jpg

The red, white and blue exclusionary flags usually did not have a slogan on them (the number of stars was the political statement) and were flown in place of the "regulation" US flag.

I discovered this morning that between 1837 and 1845 there were 13 free states and 13 slave states. Since abolitionist flags were known to have stars only for each free state, I'd say this flag was made before 1846, when the numbers changed.

The 13 stars now makes sense.

Well daggone...I'm pretty impressed with the research on this flag! I had been meaning to come back to ask how the flag could be pinned to the Revolutionary War (simply because I don't know RW stuff...at all...and would like to become more knowledgeable...) and it turns out the research was already done for me. Pretty killer flag with a rich history!

Makes me wonder what the family that sold it knew ?

Pennsylvania was like one of the first stops North on the underground railroad.

There are several houses in the Harrisburg area that had hiding spots for harboring run away slaves on the RR.

There are two graves on First Mountain of run away slaves who were caught and shot.

Pa. has a very rich history in this area and many of the locals remember stories that were passed down.

Having lived in Central Pa. for more than 30 years, and being a part time picker for half and full time for the other half, I ran across my share of slavery items but never even close to something like this.

Bob I have a few things I would like you to research for me...all kidding aside...great research job.

I always enjoy a good mystery solved or a sudden and complete reversal of what we thought it was.

This flag came from the Webb family in central Pennsylvania...

One of the leaders in the anti-slavery movement in Pennsylvania in the 1830's and 40's was Samuel Webb, who was active in Philadelphia abolitionist circles as well the literary society Philadelphia Lyceum. He and Sarah Hale certainly would have known each other.
I can't find anything about descendants.

• 5 years later...