Vietnam era Navy patch GLSR 3

Bob Hudson

Picked up a bunch of stuff today that belonged to a Navy officer who skippered ships in the Brown Water Navy in Vietnam, among other assignments.

I have not yet been able to find anything online about a Navy unit with the GLSR abbreviation:

1.jpg

Very cool patches,congrats on a great score!

If only I can figure out the big one: it's the size you see on the back of jackets. I did a little more research on the officer who had these and he was Commander, Landing Ship Flotilla One during the Vietnam War.

Here's a couple more items from his estate:

4.jpg

5.jpg

One Zippo is from Naval Beach Group One and the other from VADM Robert Salzer, who had a pretty good stint with the Brown Water Navy in Vietnam:

Salzer assumed command of Amphibious Squadron 4 in February 1966, serving from 1 April until 25 August 1967, when he became commander of River Assault Flotilla 1/River Support Squadron 7/Riverine Assault Force (Commander Task Force 117). He was assigned as commander of Operation Sealords in October 1968. Salzer returned to the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations as project officer of the Future Professional Manpower Requirements Study from November 1968 to December 1969, when he assumed command of Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla 3. He assumed command of Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla 7 in September 1970 and upon the disestablishment of that Flotilla on 16 March 1971 transferred to command of Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla 3. In April of that year Salzer reported as commander of United States Naval Forces Vietnam and chief of the Naval Advisory Group, Military Assistance Command, Vietnam.

In September 1972 Vice Admiral Salzer became commander of the Amphibious Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet. On the creation of Commander, Naval Surface Forces Pacific in January 1975, he was the first incumbent.

The 'G' looks larger that the other letters.Could 'LSR' be Landing Ship Rocket? Not sure about the 'G'.The Hunterdon patch looks PI made.Great grouping.

The 'G' looks larger that the other letters.Could 'LSR' be Landing Ship Rocket? Not sure about the 'G'.The Hunterdon patch looks PI made.Great grouping.

I had thought about that: Landing Ship Rocket is abbreviate "LSMR" with the end standing for MEDIUM. But in following through on that now I realized LSR-3 is Landing Ship Squadron Three. I don't know what the "G" is but it almost looks like a "C" for "Commanding Officer."

2.jpg

Patchcollector

"I don't know what the "G" is but it almost looks like a "C" for "Commanding Officer."

You're probably right.I was thinking that could be a "C"