Trying to get a KIA Purple Heart Home for the Holidays

Johndanger

Not sure if this is ok to post here, but this Nesbit Purple Heart has been shown and talked about on this forum and changed hands through here a few times, the family has been located and we are trying to get it back to them.

use this link to see the story and possibly help

post-3435-0-32630100-1386198563.jpg

JD- $1200 is the price from the seller, I am just glad that it has been found , and the current owner has agreed to sell it.

as of today , we are half way there.

Unknown Soldier

ok fair enough. Too bad he seems to be sticking it to people trying to do something decent. I could understand if it was for some "popular" battle or action or of a certain regiment or service. But a standard PH like this (not to take away from the brave soul who it was awarded to) that seems pretty crazy money.

ok fair enough. Too bad he seems to be sticking it to people trying to do something decent. I could understand if it was for some "popular" battle or action or of a certain regiment or service. But a standard PH like this (not to take away from the brave soul who it was awarded to) that seems pretty crazy money.

If I read the blog correctly, that was the price the seller had to originally pay for the medal. The seller is just trying to recoup his cost. The vet was 17th Airborne and was killed during Operation Varsity.

This soldier was a paratrooper in the 17th airborne who was killed in action during operation varsity (famous battle, famous unit) So very desirable. Just asking for what the seller has invested seems pretty fair. Great effort by everyone to reunite the medal with the family. RIP Mr. Nesbit you have not been forgotten.

Pete

Correct, the seller has been kind enough to offer the medal to be returned to the family at no profit, and I am grateful that he was willing to do so.

I do not collect named medals, and am not an expert in that field, but I have checked with a few collectors that are, and have been informed that asking price is realistic and in the ballpark, and again I am just happy that it has been located and the owner has been kind enough to make it available to the family.

I am just looking forward to seeing it get to his Daughter so she can have it for her children and future generations to remember him by.

Thanks to a bunch of good people we are over half way there.

If you can't toss in a few bucks, just sharing it with friends and even comment on here will help promote the project and let the family know you are thinking of them, as they are watching the progress.

Thanks, John

Greetings, my name is Mike and I'm the son in law on the website story. John cantacted me to help try and get the Purple Heart back to my mother in law. I just want to say thank you to all of you that have hepled spread the word about this or just went to the website. This means so much to our family. I wanted to post here to thank all of you. I showed the website to my wife (Nesbit's grand dauther) and she was in tears when she saw it. Thank you all again so much.

The amount the current owner is asking for the medal is not out of line for what an Airborne posthumous Purple Heart would sell for. If he is selling it to the family for just what he paid for it, I applaud him. In a case like this the price is what it is. The current owner should not be penalized since he originally paid a lot for it.

Kurt

I owned this heart at one time and must say it was an honor to research it and to see the face to put with the name . I hope all works out . RIP Trooper .

Scott, your work with the medal has been the key for the family locating it, your posts put his name out on the internet and Mike was able to find it that way, there will always be a piece of you with it.

I would also like to say that the focus on the $ is not the point, so lets please move away from that. It is what it is, and I am just happy that the current owner is working with us to get it back to the family.

He is a collector, ex-military, and has treated the medal with respect and made it available to us, he is actively searching for a lost named medal from his own family that I am sure he would pay any amount to recover, and if I can help him make that happen I would be proud to do so.

Actually, the truth is quite the contrary. A KIA Purple Heart to a 17th abn soldier killed during Varsity, is very desirable and to a famous battle. I (like Pete) applaud him for what he is doing; to put it in perspective, he is the legal owner of the medal and does not have to make it available. The fact that he is doing so, at cost, shows his character.

Philip

OK, I have pitched in as well.

My sincerest congrats to the current owner who is obviously a collector with character. It is an honor to be part of this forum with you, and all of those that are helping to make this dream come true.

"Ya'll are the best.

Thanks everyone, we are almost there and should have this wrapped up soon, thanks for helping us make this a special Christmas for Jackie Nesbit's daughter and family.

I am proud to announce that after only one day, we have been able to raise the funds, and this project is now moving along to the next phase, thanks to everyone and stay tuned for the update.

WE DID IT!! The total amount has been raised to return the Purple Heart to my mother in law!! God Bless everyone that helped spread the word!! We are so thankful to all of you that helped. Personally, I'm speechless..

The gentleman that has the medal and I have talked on this forum and on the phone. In fact, he saw my posts looking for the medal and he contacted me that he had the medal. He has taken good care of it and knows how improtant it is for our family. Rest assured it was never about the money. He and I had a good converstation on the phone and he has been very easy to work with thoughout this process.

I agree...

Wonderful thing to do for the family.

If I were in their position I would feel the same way and be very appreciative.

Good job,

Brian