A Great Revolutionary War Find

Some years ago I received a call from a great Pennsylvania picker tipping me off to an item at Kenny's Auction in Chambersburg Pa. The auctioneer had gone on a house-call at a local estate, he spotted an odd hat and asked the owner what she knew about it, she replied that it was a Revolutionary War "Hessian Helmet". I attended the auction and bought the pictured hat. In the Battle of Trenton the Hessian force of 1,400 was surprised and virtually destroyed by the Continentals, with about 20 killed, 100 wounded, and 1,000 captured as prisoners. General George Washington's Continental Army had crossed the Delaware River to make a surprise attack on the Hessian's on the early morning of December 26 1776. The captured Hessian's were paraded through Philadelphia, marched through Lancaster, York, Carlisle and down to Chambersburg.

rev1.jpg

rev2.jpg

Please check out my militaria sales website;

Griffin Militaria

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Cool to see that: my 5th great-grandfather was a Hessian, a member of the Hessen-Hanau Erbprinz Regiment, and was taken POW after the decisive American victory at the Battle of Saratoga.

His group was being marched to Charlottesville, Virginia when he escaped in Maryland, married the daughter of an immigrant from Alsace, and went on to co-found the town of Claysburg PA, where a log house he built in about 1802 is still being used as a rental.

He would not have worn a helmet like that, but I have to say it would be a thrill to own anything Hessian from the Revolution.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

That's my area of PA they marched through...nice pick

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Excellent find! Don Troiani hasn't by any chance seen this, has he? You should contact him...

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

A sensational piece; thank you for posting. I think that many Americans today would be surprised to find out that their relative may have been British or Hessian soldiers who stayed here after the Revolution, like that which was mentioned from Mr. Hudson earlier.

Here in the south, especially in western North Carolina, there is a good chance that some of your Revolutionary kin were "Tories" and Loyalists.

Always looking for 199th Infantry Brigade "Redcatcher" Items.

post-4009-0-18192300-1380579315.jpg

Outstanding piece!

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Outstanding piece!

My Great, Great, Great Grandfather was there with Washington on that cold day.

You are his witness now, without a witness, they just disappear!

Quote from the movie TAKING CHANCE 2009

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Probably the rarest item ever to be posted on the Forum.

And it isn't a 'painted' helmet either. ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

WOW! That is one fine piece of American history!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Bobgee

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

WOW! Speechless. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

A collecter of photographs

Always looking for PTO related photos and photo albums. also looking for 134th CB USN and 711th railroad operating battalion photos and photo albums.

Mike Harpe

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

A sensational piece; thank you for posting. I think that many Americans today would be surprised to find out that their relative may have been British or Hessian soldiers who stayed here after the Revolution, like that which was mentioned from Mr. Hudson earlier.

Here in the south, especially in western North Carolina, there is a good chance that some of your Revolutionary kin were "Tories" and Loyalists.

Yep I have no doubt. some of my family were from the Piedmont area, Harpe/Harp, and fought for the british.

Mike

A collecter of photographs

Always looking for PTO related photos and photo albums. also looking for 134th CB USN and 711th railroad operating battalion photos and photo albums.

Mike Harpe

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif