Question about state and city WW1 medals

ColdWarRules

I found a Georgia state WW1 service medal named to a soldier and it has a silver star on the ribbon.

So my question is, do cities and states put silver star devices for soldiers that qualified for the silver star (I know it started out with a silver star device on the WW1 V.M but you know what I mean).

-Nick

I've never seen reference to a Georgia WWI service medal (city WWI medals are klnown from Columbus, Griffin and Brunswick), although there is the Georgia Distinguished Foreign Service Medal.

But to your question, I've never seen any device on a WWI service medal to indicate a silver citation star. You usually see a gold star for fatal casualties.

I've seen stars indicating overseas service on WW1 locals. Use of stars would vary from state to state, county to county, or city to city. That's the neat part about collecting locals, the learning curve is still very much in effect as we find previously unknown material.

• 7 years later...
On 12/4/2013 at 5:40 AM, ColdWarRules said:

I found a Georgia state WW1 service medal named to a soldier and it has a silver star on the ribbon.

So my question is, do cities and states put silver star devices for soldiers that qualified for the silver star (I know it started out with a silver star device on the WW1 V.M but you know what I mean).

-Nick

Do you have a photo of this medal you could post?

• 1 year later...