ID This Odd US Belt?

Charlie Flick

Maybe Craig Pickerall will have something in his vast archives ob this belt

Craig has been busy lately, but should be on the forum this week.

RC

Why not, for flare cartridge shells!!

By the time of WWII, the Army had switched from flare pistols to flares launched from rifle grenade spigots and mortars, the reason being that the flares fired from pistols did not provide a bright enough light for a useful duration.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw pics of scubadivers using an ordinary cartridge belt to carry lead weights. If you have enough patience you can find them in the forum. In the past I've noticed that Medical Corp was quite independent in buying equipments i.e. in late '30s they ordered M1912 snapless pistol belts (God knows why) so my two cents are for medical bandoleer.

I saw pics of scubadivers using an ordinary cartridge belt to carry lead weights. If you have enough patience you can find them in the forum. In the past I've noticed that Medical Corp was quite independent in buying equipments i.e. in late '30s they ordered M1912 snapless pistol belts (God knows why) so my two cents are for medical bandoleer.

I have a 1950s era dive manual from a UDT person.Mostly its a ammended WW2 type manual.Most all the pictures show WW2 era equipment.THe Hard hat diving helmets,canvas suits etc.In one section it shows the WW1 era cartridge belts and states they can be used for weight belts.Seeing the Navy had tons of 1903 springfield rifles, doesnt surprise me the belts were in the system for years.

RD

Salvage Sailor

Dive belt? The grommets and snaps just don't make sense. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't want any weight belt with that type of fastener as it could be popped loose when working.

Dive belt? The grommets and snaps just don't make sense. Speaking from experience, I wouldn't want any weight belt with that type of fastener as it could be popped loose when working.

Exactly what I was thinking; not a good situation.

I have a 1950s era dive manual from a UDT person.Mostly its a ammended WW2 type manual.Most all the pictures show WW2 era equipment.THe Hard hat diving helmets,canvas suits etc.In one section it shows the WW1 era cartridge belts and states they can be used for weight belts.Seeing the Navy had tons of 1903 springfield rifles, doesnt surprise me the belts were in the system for years.

RD

The use of the M1910 Cartridge belt was still carried in the Diving Manual circa 1970, and who knows how much later. Of course the Navy was pretty bad about reusing old photos for manuals.