ID This Odd US Belt?

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

An old friend of mine in another state sent me pics of a belt he owns. I have never seen one like it. He'd like to get a positive identification on it, if possible. It does not show up in Dorsey's book, Doughboy to GI or any of the other major references.

Belt3_zps0a0d4ccf.jpg

As can be seen it is an OD 6-pocket belt. It has an unusal closure with two lift the dot fasteners instead of the usual buckle.

Belt4_zps36070b66.jpg

It has no markings other than the US marking. I have not seen it in person and can only go by what is shown in the photos.

Belt1_zps7b17af00.jpg

As can be seen it has a single field dressing in a pocket which, of course, could have been put in there at anytime. The owner speculates that it might be a medical belt.

Belt2_zpsc70f9bf4.jpg

The owner has had this belt for many years and does not believe that it is a reproduction. Might it be a prototype belt? Foreign military assistance? Can any member provide an identification?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Charlie

I would think it's a WWII experimental medics belt with the lift the dots on the belt for the quick release to get to the bandges or refull them? nice item! It has the late war US stencil on the flap. On the Web their is a web site all about WWII medics items and it's super detailed you could email them? med-dept.com

Craig

I would think it's a WWII experimental medics belt with the lift the dots on the belt for the quick release to get to the bandges or refull them? nice item! It has the late war US stencil on the flap. On the Web their is a web site all about WWII medics items and it's super detailed you could email them? med-dept.com

Craig

The owner of that website is a member here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/user/2299-med-dept/

That is a strange belt. My first reaction is that it might have been worn as a bandoleer rather than a belt, given the relatively light contruction. However the presence of eyelets on the top and bottom suggest it was indeed designed to be worn as a belt. The adjusting strap looks like it is made from the same webbing used for the straps on the service gas mask carrier.

Was this ever posted before? I seem to recall seeing one before, maybe on another forum.

RC

Charlie Flick

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the input. It is indeed an oddball belt. The most interesting feature to me is the LTD closure method.

RC, I don't know if this one has ever been posted before but I doubt it. I don't think my friend spends much time on the 'net. He did mention that he purchased this belt many years ago from one of the big time militaria dealers, so maybe that is what you are thinking about. He has asked other collectors about the belt over the years so it's also possible that someone else took his pics and posted them as I have done. Or maybe there is another example of the same belt floating around somewhere.

Regards,

Charlie

My theory? the lift the dot belt snap closesure was made to remove quick or put on fast and had issues when wearing it in the brush or crawing on the ground and catching and popping lose.

The belt also worked fine when full of bandages but when the supplies were used up in a combat zone, them what you have is a empty belt hanging on your waist doing nothing.

I'm sure to resupply the bandges was a problem in the combat zone so I think they drop this for the three tier bandge pouch which came out in 1944 and elmiated this bulky belt all together.

A medics could be supplies with two three tier pouches on each side of him and keep the pistol belt and not have the bulky belt hanging around him when empty and could remove the three tier pouches when empty with out a problem if he wanted to.

This has to be a medics belt they always had two canteens and the medic supplies and with all the eyelets in the belt this was for all the extra's needed.

Craig

El Bibliotecario

I'm having a flashback to when I was a kid visiting the surplus store, and an old gaffer sat in the back with an industrial sewing machine making strange and wonderful creations out of what was then dirt cheap WW2 USGI web gear...hope I'm wrong.

Charlie, the grommets look like they are too close together for a standard M1910 wire hook. Can you confirm that with the owner?

Good catch Robin, it does look a little tight.

I still can't get over the lightweight webbing on the adjustment strap, it's what you would see on a shoulder/carry strap and not a belt.

RC

I agree with robinb. It would explain the use of LTD snaps for closure rather than a buckle. LTD snaps would allow very quick release of the belt in event of an emergency.

Maybe, but unlike any issue examples I have seen. Still, given the number of pockets, I would hope that strap was strong enough to hold the weight or you would rocket to the surface..

I do know that as late as the 1970s the diving manuals said you could use the standard cartridge belt with the appropriate weights added.

How can it be a diving belt? when it has the US stamped on the front pocket flap like all the other US Army model field gear is marked? Unless the USN has a division in the US Army? if it's a diving belt you would you think it should be marked USN?

Craig

How can it be a diving belt? when it has the US stamped on the front pocket flap like all the other US Army model field gear is marked? Unless the USN has a division in the US Army? if it's a diving belt you would you think it should be marked USN?

Craig

I don't what that belt might be, but the US Army has divers, too.

I don't what that belt might be, but the US Army has divers, too.

Yup, they've had their own divers at least since the '50s, and they still do. Many of them work closely with the Corps of Engineers.

Yup, they've had their own divers at least since the '50s, and they still do. Many of them work closely with the Corps of Engineers.

US Army divers were used during WWII by the Engineers. Lots of blown bridges in Europe that needed clearing and rebuilding.

Ok, I did do some reading up on WWII US Army divers they had them but very few. As I read they used them the most after the Normany invasion to clean up what was under the water obstacles' the German layed down and to find bodies. As the history is read they were tring to perfect the equipment most of all the beathing parts of helmet better suits and they still used the weighted boots. The bridge demolitions were being done by bombers and the P47's

I still don't think this is a WWII US army divers weight belt. The belt isn't made from a rubberized canvas unlike other WWII US Army gear like the food bag, mustte bags made for to get wet or water assaults, it has no drain hole in bottom of the pockets and for one other thing this isn't a simple made belt for just to hold weights.Their is a bunch of work in making of this belt.

None of the WWII Medics collectors have come forward to call it a experiment WWII medics belt which thats what I first thought it was so hear I go again?

I'm thinking it could be a experiment WWII US Army signal flare gun cartridge belt? it has the exact same construction pouch bodies & flaps as the second pattern M1 carbine pouches bodies have but a shorter pocket and also it has the eye lets for the use of suspenders.

With the different size diameter cartridges the loop belt could only take a certain diameter size with the pouch it wouldn't matter. The quick release was done for easy put on & removal for the Gi's that didn't want to wear it all the time like used by the air base crew members when bombers returning & leaving.

Craig

Why not,

for flare cartridge shells!! I don't buy the dive belt idea. The canvas would never hold up very long being wet all the time even if it's mildew proofed. Go ask WWII & Vietnam Vets about the canvas gear used in the jungle and how it held up!

I don't think any idea at this time is absurd since no one knows what it is. Heck it may of been used for explosives by the engineers. Anything is possible at this point.

Mike

In that case it must be for Special Services playing cards.

I just threw out the dive belt statement to get away from the front line field use idea.